E36 Tuning/modification potential on engines

4x4mad

Car
Ford Sierra 1.8 lx
Hi,
I'm thinking about replacing my ford sierra 1.8 with a BMW 3-series
(1991-2000 E36, 3rd generation) can anyone recommend and tell me the Tuning/modification potential for one of the engine choices,
Either the 1.8,1.9,2.0,2.3 or 2.5.
Also, Reliability is for buying this car and could you recommend some things and usuall problems to look out for when buying, thanks

I am hopefully trying to convert it into a rally, dirt track racer. So any tips and experiences may also be useful.

Cheers,Ed

Last edited:
The 6 pot engines will get the biggest gains from mods (323 upwards). The 4 pots are lighter though. What kind of power are you looking for?

Hi Prince (and Others),
I've done quite a bit of research, and i know the 2.3, 2.5 produce quite abit of bhp at 168bhp and 192bhp (I can't work out why there different, despite they both have the same cc's, isit a turbo?) so i'd be looking to increase it into the high 200's at least and possibly more. I live on a farm and i've got loads of racetrack concrete;) and when the fields arn't growing i go on a dirt track (therefor i can only get up to 40mph) so i'd like quite a high 0-60 and thats it i'm not looking for high speeds. possibly a small turbo to give low end boost?
Thanks, Ed

It's not a turbo. Better off going for the 2.5 imo. Get over 200bhp easy with a bit of fiddling no turbo needed. Be plenty of torque across the rev range to make it quick-ish if you shave enough weight off the car.

Does the E36 do a 2.8? :amazed:
I thought the highest cc engine was the 2.5
With that then, 2.8 it is! (if i can find one lol)

Thanks

the 323, 325, and 328 all have the same engine, just differant inlets, and injectors

ive read somewhere on the net that the 325 has the best torque, but if you add the injection rail and inlet manifold, you could get 20bhp more

im not a bmw man, and im not really sure, but hope this helps