Driving standards where you are

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the driving standards like where you are? Do most drivers act responsibly or are your local roads filled with nutters etc...

Down our way it's not too bad. School run and daily commute traffic is pretty annoying but people are generally quite polite, will let you out and follow at a safe distance.

I know this is very different in some other areas/countries so tell us about your experiences!

My experience in Spain (and more so in Madrid) - is that this city breeds psychos for the road... not exxagerating here, they really are...

They will jump a yellow light anytime, when the light goes red (yes - red) there are always a group of 3-5 cars who will jump it anyway, zebra crossings are invisible, cyclists are always under pressure, give them an inch of the footpath and they will park their car on top... seriously they need to get their act together down here (at least driving)... of course you have other perks which I find hard to resist, the food, weather, the social lifestyle etc... but driving wise... locos!

You may have twigged that I am not all that impressed with driving standards in OZ but am told that when compared with some countries it's not too bad.

where i live, the drivers are slow to respond, rude, and stupid. i watched a 40ish year old man go into a slide and turn the wheel the way he was sliding to get out of it watching the 720 was pretty entertaining though :)

Not desperately bad here but then this area is not outrageously densely populated.

Most are pretty considerate to be honest. The thing that bugs me is the needless braking THROUGH bends on main roads. Surely it's better to brake in a straight line. Moreover they brake needlessly anyway. Or do they brake, maybe just touch the pedal enough to light up the brake lamps???

It's a lack of confidence/control thing I reckon. My car is automatic and I rarely brake at all on fast twisty roads....... acceleration sense is far better but it does require the engagement of brain !!

Do not venture around here without first making sure you have full comprehensive insurance, plus your head must have the ability to spin around like an owl as the idiots are everywhere and their out to get you :sad2: