Driving in Floods

Twamgl3

Road Burner
Car
Mitsubishi Carisma
At the moment here in Essex we're watching some flooding subside. It's not major flooding, yet there are a number of vehicles abandoned on the road as they've broken down in the water. There's twelve cars in one stretch alone in Mashbury!

What tips sdo you have for driving in floods?

Here's my two cents:
Don't drive in water that's too deep (duh!) If you're really not sure, get out of the car and walk ahead to see if you can get through. Usually flood water is dirty so find a stick to test the depth. Or would you rather leave your car behind?

If you are going to drive through water, use a low gear for torque - you're car will need to work a lot harder against water than air.

And make sure you keep the revs up so the exhaust gases keep the water from going up the exhaust pipe.

And try and make a bow wave as this will reduce the height of the water around the engine. You need to know what's right for your car.

At the moment here in Essex we're watching some flooding subside. It's not major flooding, yet there are a number of vehicles abandoned on the road as they've broken down in the water. There's twelve cars in one stretch alone in Mashbury!

Here's my two cents:
Don't drive in water that's too deep (duh!) If you're really not sure, get out of the car and walk ahead to see if you can get through. Usually flood water is dirty so find a stick to test the depth. Or would you rather leave your car behind?

If you are going to drive through water, use a low gear for torque - you're car will need to work a lot harder against water than air.

And make sure you keep the revs up so the exhaust gases keep the water from going up the exhaust pipe.

And try and make a bow wave as this will reduce the height of the water around the engine. You need to know what's right for your car.

Or... turn round and go another way. A long detour is much better than looking stupid stuck in a foot of water :)

i always find not to have any problems with your car while flooding
is to use someone elses lol

but never stop once you stop thats it

or just stay at home and watch all the other people on u tube a few days later

Make sure the tyres are full of air. :lol: Seriously though I think youve covered the main points there. Use the center of the road as the camber is usually higher there.

if you have one, turn the air conditioning off as you cant see what is floating around in the water - we drove through some and a bit of plastic got stuck in the system and messed and destroyed the fan

Here's my two cents:

Really should have read my own advice before killing my diesel Fiesta. Mind you, taught me a good lesson. Wheneve you drive a new car take a look under the bonnet for the cold air feed - my Astra is clever as it's just under the bonnet. The Fiesta less so as it had a drinking straw at the bottom of the engine bay. Don't forget water is not as compressible as con rods!

I live near a low section of road that can flood when there is heavy rain upstream and recently saw a woman in a Cruiser drive around the ROAD CLOSED barrier and into deep fast flowing water and about 1/2 way acrossthe 50 metre wide flood the back of the 4by started to move sideways and swept the car against the footbridge with water 1/2 way up the door .She climbed out via the sunroof onto the f/bridge. IF she had have slipped it into 4WD she may have made it all the way as while the rear was floating the front wheels still had traction.
Could have used the other road to get out but still drove into it in spite of a number of people shouting and gesturing to stop.