Does a cars nationality matter

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was thinking whilst debating the merits of cars from certain countries that most car makers are interlinked and share parts, drivetrains and engines.

Does the country a car comes from really matter? Is there such a thing as a German or Japanese car if you take into account that many parts are made in China or other countries and companies often span more than one continent?

Not readily. My '97-'98 Primera was built in Sunderland and a large number of components (ABS modulator, A/C compressor amongst many others) were all Bosch stamped anyway. I think the engine management was Bosch Motronic derived as well.

Whether those bits were built by Robert Bosch GMBH in Germany is another matter entirely. I suspect many weren't.

I think ot does. For me anyway. When you think of German, you think of reliable. When you think of Jap, you think speed/eco. When you think of American you think plastic. When you think of Italian, you think of looks. When you think of French, you think terrible and when you think of British you think of Rover (enough said! lol) and when you think of Koria you think of cheep.

I only buy German or Jap.

But then I had a Coventry built Peugeot 406 which was superbly put together, not dissimilar to German standards by any stretch. (Not sure I can say the same for other Peugeot models or French makers in general though).

Yet that car was plastered in Bosch branded components as well. No bad thing, in my opinion.

I returned a Laguna II after eight days for a full refund. Horrendously problematical car.

And I had two Montegos, which, as you say, are Rovers. They were not at all impressive.

I was thinking whilst debating the merits of cars from certain countries that most car makers are interlinked and share parts, drivetrains and engines.

Does the country a car comes from really matter? Is there such a thing as a German or Japanese car if you take into account that many parts are made in China or other countries and companies often span more than one continent?
I think it does, the work ethos of some countries means that they produce a better finished product, there was a time many years ago, when Belgium used to assemble GM cars for export to countries that keep to the left(RHD Cars) the quality, fit and finish of these vehicles were far superior to the same model made in the mother country.
Even today, if you buy a car made and assembled in Japan for their domestic market, you will find that it is superior to the same model sold elsewhere.

I think it does, the work ethos of some countries means that they produce a better finished product, there was a time many years ago, when Belgium used to assemble GM cars for export to countries that keep to the left(RHD Cars) the quality, fit and finish of these vehicles were far superior to the same model made in the mother country.
Even today, if you buy a car made and assembled in Japan for their domestic market, you will find that it is superior to the same model sold elsewhere.

Didn't know that. That's good reason from me to look at a second user Lexus from Japan then if you think they're better built than the UK export models.

Imports can be harder to insure, always check first. Often JDM cars use different spec parts to the UK and the cost of importing these added to the additonal time your car is off the road and you need a hire car puts up the cost of the claim. Crazy I know but it is worth checking.

Imports can be harder to insure, always check first. Often JDM cars use different spec parts to the UK and the cost of importing these added to the additonal time your car is off the road and you need a hire car puts up the cost of the claim. Crazy I know but it is worth checking.

Good point. I'd forgotten that Waynne has previously worked in insurance. Some things that lead to outrageous premiums with some insurers are of no consequence to other insurers.

think the nationality of where it is built matters. In Vietnam Toyota and Ford have assembly plants (but not manufacturing) all the parts are imported. Or else, for a higher price you can buy an imported version of the same model, many people with money to spare go for the later as the thinking is that the assembly is not as good in VN (although havent found the same issue myself with this)

Re: Does a cars nationality really matter?
Having a car from different countries can make a difference depending emission standards especially. For example I owned a 06 Jetta TDI in the states 90Bhp, the same car in Europe at least 110Bhp. I have also seen the engine layouts and other details different such as lights, electrical, etc. Although like stated earlier parts can be the same sometimes it just depends.

I think it matter because you trust certain countries to make cars well. For example, would you rather have a French or Japanese car for reliability.

My car was actually built in Germany as well (confirmed by the chassis number). Some E36s were also built in South Africa.

Germany and Japan have been respected over the years for good build quality and reliability. France has a patchy reputation but my 406 was brilliant. My biggest concerns in terms of reliability are the Vauxhall and Rover badges. However, many people have had good experiences with these marques.

A car is only determined by its badge (and that is no doubt made in China), as said its parts can be sourced from most countries and even floor pans and drivetrans shared across various marques. The things that matter to some are the stereotypical ones, not the car itself, but its pedigree or how it became to be.

As already said people will worry about being associated with BL, Rover, Vauxhall etc but few will remember the Skoda jokes before VAG got involved. I bet not many will worry that Land Rover and Jaguar are owned by Tata, an Indian company that gave us the Nano!

I drive both MG and Land Rover, do I care? Not a jot! :bigsmile:

A car is only determined by its badge (and that is no doubt made in China), as said its parts can be sourced from most countries and even floor pans and drivetrans shared across various marques. The things that matter to some are the stereotypical ones, not the car itself, but its pedigree or how it became to be.

As already said people will worry about being associated with BL, Rover, Vauxhall etc but few will remember the Skoda jokes before VAG got involved. I bet not many will worry that Land Rover and Jaguar are owned by Tata, an Indian company that gave us the Nano!

I drive both MG and Land Rover, do I care? Not a jot! :bigsmile:

Got to disagree about the badge defining a car .

Sure its usually a good indication but its hardly the defining factor.

The way I see it is that how something is put together can make the car seem cheap or spot on.

But the way it is designed determines how it drives
(providing of course it is put together properly.)

For example
Untill/unless american cars are given decent supension they wont go round corners well even if they were built in Germany or Japan .
Putting an m3 or an evo badge on wouldnt make them any better ( or worse)

Got to disagree about the badge defining a car .

Sure its usually a good indication but its hardly the defining factor.

The way I see it is that how something is put together can make the car seem cheap or spot on.

But the way it is designed determines how it drives
(providing of course it is put together properly.)

For example
Untill/unless american cars are given decent supension they wont go round corners well even if they were built in Germany or Japan .
Putting an m3 or an evo badge on wouldnt make them any better ( or worse)

My slant was aimed at 'joe public' who would use the badge as a means of what to drive and they would wish to be seen driving, so a case of badge snobbery I guess. The badge is only that, it is nothing like it used to be 30 years ago as an example, but alot of car owners still view it as the badge to have regardless of its current standing in the surveys. Some still would baulk at the thought of owning a Skoda purely based on what it was perceived as pre-VAG era. However that is somewhat different today. Audi was one that was nearly there but never quite made it until the Quattro hit the scene, now it is known for producing superb cars. Then again the japs were producing mundane cars in the 60s and 70s but were gradually improving their quality and challenging the likes of BL and Ford in the family car sector, now they are know as producing some of the best cars out there. I think alot of how we see the cars nationality is based on our age group and what we remember and what we are comparing it to today.
Some marques have evolved whereas some as soldered on steadily not getting any worse and not getting any better perhaps?

"when you think of British you think of Rover (enough said! lol)" It shows a type of mentality when you get such statements and they don,t mention the otherside of the coin, Rolls Royce/Aston Martin/Landrover/Jaguaer/Lotus/TVR/Maclaran/Cosworth and the Mini. All sort after throughout the world as quality autos. These days all auto manufactuers are cosmopolitan in the use of parts and techical knowhow from all parts of the Globe.

Last edited: