Distance home > university > home

hafrintz

Banned
Car
Hans Fritz
I'm a student and now live about 250 miles away form my home. Of course I can't visit my family every day but once a week is quit okay. Some of my friends have even longer so I can feel happy

My question: Would you go the 250 miles by car or by train? I've the driver licence for about 4 years and would like to buy a car. Do you think this makes sense? Would you go this distance by car or by train? What is the maximum distance you would go by car?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather drive than sit on a train with a bunch of coughing, sneezing people I don't know. In the car you can turn up the radio and rock out as well!

It depends, if you're buying the car for the sole purpose of traveling home once a week, then personally I wouldn't bother. With first buying the car, then insuring, taxing and testing it, it would probably be cheaper to get a year-round railcard. But, as Prince pointed out, you'd be playing a game of passenger roulette :confused:

If your trains were comfortable like the Amtrak ones I have travelled on before then yes. Depends if you are happy sitting with strangers for a 250 mile trip or like driving. It would be a numbers game for me, i.e. cost and benefits. Pros and cons for each. What is the cost of running a car for the year compared to the train fares? Are you able to park the car on campus?

depends.

i used to go vist a mate who was 380 mile away. with me and the wife it used to cost around £90 in petrol there and back. an open return ticket purchased on the same day would have been £136. so £270 for the pair of us against £90 doesnt take much convincing. however she used to quite often take the train when coming up here as she knew well in advance the tickets were cheap - £60 or so

depends.

i used to go vist a mate who was 380 mile away. with me and the wife it used to cost around £90 in petrol there and back. an open return ticket purchased on the same day would have been £136. so £270 for the pair of us against £90 doesnt take much convincing. however she used to quite often take the train when coming up here as she knew well in advance the tickets were cheap - £60 or so

When you go to the pub, do you log onto the internet, go onto some complany and book a time slot at the pub so you get your pints at 60% cost? No.

So why should people have to do that to travel somewhere. That is one of the things I am most against with the rail companies. The fact that the prices can change so much when booking in advance. They should be the same price accross the board.

I can handle the :
delayes
noise of the train
smell of pee on the seats
some smelly homeless person sitting next to you
standing up for 4 hours at a time becaues of not enough coaches on
some kid screeming and mother/father doing nothing
the drinks tray bashing my shaulder ever time it goes past

but come on! when I find out someone paid £20 to go to glasgow, and I paid £68, that is just too much for me. Never used a train since. (2009)