Difference in engines

lee172

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi a3 1.8
Hi, i was just wondering what the difference is between the 1.8t engine (150/180bhp) and the 1.8t engine out of the s3 (225bhp). Is it just a case of modded ecu and maybe slightly bigger turbo? im trying to decide if i should get the 1.8t quattro or just go straight to the s3 for my next car. Thanks, Lee

Hi, i was just wondering what the difference is between the 1.8t engine (150/180bhp) and the 1.8t engine out of the s3 (225bhp). Is it just a case of modded ecu and maybe slightly bigger turbo? im trying to decide if i should get the 1.8t quattro or just go straight to the s3 for my next car. Thanks, Lee
the main differences are like you said turbo, ecu, and they have twin intercoolers so need to upgrade to a fmic, bigger brakes, and anti roll bars
but in all honesty if you can afford the s3 its a much better platform to start from tuning wise and looks

the best example i can give is me i bought a leon 180bhp but wished i had saved a little longer to get the cupra r 225bhp cause for me to get mine upto 225bhp i have spent alot of money more than it would have been to just wait and save a little longer

hope this helps mate

also different intake manifold, throttle body, injectors and exhaust as it has twin cat setup for more free flowing.
also the compression ratio of the engine is slightly lower 9.3:1 compared to the9.5:1 of the 150/180 engines.

Thanks for the help, i didnt realise there was so much difference between the two engines. I was at a vag meet the other day and i was told that when you remap a 1.8t you would need to change the gearbox/clutch as they wouldnt last long at all. would anyone say this is true or do you think the gearbox/clutch is capible of the extra bhp?

on a standard remap you should be alright.

is it a FWD or quattro ? 5 or 6 speed ?
if its FWD 5 speed you might get away with using the golf g60 clutch. not sure about the quatro. and a decent clutch for the 6 speed is around £1000 well thats what i was quoted

it would probably be either for the quattro 6 speed or the s3. Is the gearbox and clutch different on the s3 aswell then?

i was told by my mapper the clutch is good for upto 300 lb/ft of torque thats why the tbi boys end up having to up rate there clutch

hi and welcome to tc mate,
even though their the same sized engine, the s3 would be tuned better and have better
turbo, bla bla, as the boys said

its like an sir and a type r civic, both dohc vtec 1.6
but the type r has something like 20 - 30 more bhp,
its like most things in life, you can get a normal model,and a top of the range model of something the same eh,, model

The similarities often outweight the differences. At the same time, you'd be unwise to take a 150bhp 1.8T to 260bhp simply by remapping it alone (which is possible) but I think you'd have burned pistons and valves, and failed turbos after very few miles of use.

A common trick is to mount little oil spray jets in the small end bearings that cool the bottoms of the pistons. Lower tuned cars don't create that much heat.

On this note (TN69) don't go too far beyond 200bhp with your 620 unless you're planning to fit a blueprinted crank and rods and reinforced pistons. That engine is derived from the oil O series 2 litre unit and the designers have pretty much maximised it in your installation already. Bear in mind that the original O series 2 litre single carb managed just 93bhp!!!

In reality many people remap on a worn clutch that is nearing the end of its life. This pushed it over the edge and kills it. Hence the rumor that remaps kill your clutch. As with any rumor there is an element of truth.

With big power increases you would need an optimised gearbox for the best effect but I've not heard of the gearboxes being particulalry weak.

that sounds interesting. is that a common thing to do with the torque limiting in 1st and 2nd? if i wanted to do that would it just be a case of asking the mapper?

It's common with the bigger output diesels. Petrol engines are less likely to cause such problems unless you're into big V8s.

My car (diesel) is developing over 320 lbft at 2300 rpm in mapped tune so it's wise to limit the boost pressure in first and second gears to protect the diff. There's still more than enough to set the tyres squealing in third so I think it's a good compromise.