Diesel engines and cleanliness of them

prevtec

Pro Tuner
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
Good question? Diesel cars do go like rockets, no doubt. The sooty exhaust is a by product of this. I'm not convinced thay diesels are cleaner. It's a point worthy of discussion.
yes it is because
the goverment are dropping the price of rd tax over here if you drive a deisel, as they say its cleaner for the envoirment

what a wind-up
i would like to hear peoples views on this, and i know i should have put it up as a new thread

so hdi, or pg, id normally ask waynne to change this, but he as some unfortunate things to deal with, so can either 1 of ye put this as a new thread
thanks fellas

prevtec

In word, No. Not yet anyway. Particle filtering is getting very good now so soot and other large particle emissions are improving. I sometimes wonder if the small particles are more of a problem.

A diesel engine is much more economical than a petrol with similar driving characteristics so we should consider this as an environmental benefit as well.

Diesels have come a long way. However whenever you boot a diesel you get a cloud of black smoke so I think there is a little way to go. We need to bear in mind that Deisel is heavy and crude compared to refined petrolium. But I think that with better filtration and advances we will see cleaner diesels.

Its often the things you can't see in the exhaust that is the most harmfull.

Very very slight grey haze under full power. I wonder how damaging the cerium compound is that's added to the fuel to keep the filter working. I bet it's far more dangerous than a bit of smoke

Get a nice cloud out of the back of our FreeLander Sport TD4 if you boot it - and it goes pretty well since remapped too :).

Nothing like my dads though - he had an injector go faulty, and he could fumigate the car park to the point you coudn't see the office!