Clutch question.

Just wanted peoples thoughts and experiences with clutch's.
How long should the average clutch last?
Say in a brand new car?

why what have you done????:amuse:

mines still on its original clutch as far as im aware and my cars 8 years old 74,000 miles

Nothin.........Yet.
Got out earlier and could smell something that was very much like a burning clutch smell.:blink: Not slipping or anything and I was just cruising not booting it or anything but it was a strong smell.:confused:

The Alfa was still on its original clutch on 40-odd thou miles before I killed it and that's with a nice torquey oil-burner. My Mk2 8v was still on its original clutch at 48k when I sold it and I mullered it most of the time, but that didn't have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding let alone murder the clutch. As for the GT's no idea! In all my reciepts none of them are for a new clutch.

This is something that will vary a fair amount from car to car and depends a lot on driving style also.

My Passat 1.8T clutch started slipping at 130k miles (although being remapped at 110k on the original clutch probably didn't help an old clutch live longer!)

130k is reasonable. Out of curiousity, what was the all-in price for a replacement unit?

God - we're talking ages ago now, I can't remember. Also, I paid extra for an uprated clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel and upped the power a little bit more ;)

I had mine done at 105,000 and fitted a solid flywheel in place of the worn dual mass item. I didn't bother with a different clutch as the original had been transmitting the 300+ lbft since 50,000 miles quite happily.

I did initially regret fitting a solid flywheel (as it did take away the super silky never-know-it's-a-four-never-mind-a-diesel feel) but the cost difference was enormous.

The whole job was quite pricey but the amount of stuff that has to come out (and go back in at the end) to get at the x-mission is unreal. Something tells me that Peugeot needs to address this and make things slightly more accessible.

Still - not my problem now - the car is dead and gone as of 24th June.

My daily driver, the Micra is on 167,000 miles and on the original clutch. Not that it has the power to do sod all with, probably just given it the kiss of death now.
The GTO in standard format with a stock clutch will last as long as the driver allows it to. On an uprated clutch it's a different matter.
Our other cars never run out, we don't keep them long enough to worry about that.

In my experience a clutch should last at least 90,000 miles unless it is subject to unusual strain and stresses.

Tend to find clutches in little cars 998cc - 1200cc lasts as shorter amount of time. Not sure if this is because they have to be slipped more in order to pull of quickly, or if such little/cheap cars are using cheaper clutches...

civic was on around 98k on original
prelude was on 102k on original

suppose it depends on how you drive it, you could kill it in a couple of thousand if your really aggressive with it

It seems that there's no pattern to clutch wear and ultimate replacement.

Much like driving style is, in my opinion, the single biggest factory to influence fuel usage; I also think that driving style or driving technique plays the biggest part in clutch life or wear.

Put simply, the clutch friction parts cannot wear it it's fully engaged or fully disengaged.

If clutch slip occurs, whether as a result of bad adjustment, bad driving habits, or simply too much engine torque (where it slips even if your left foot is under the driver's seat) then the wear rate is massively accelerated.

Clearly if your engine is dishing up more torque than the clutch can handle then you need to uprate the clutch assembly.

Yet, so many drivers seem to be poised ready to depress the clutch pedal at a moment's notice.

If you practise, and thereafter practice, precise accelerator pedal inputs you might well find you're using the clutch far less. This can only be a good thing for clutch wear and longevity.