chipping a car

sean springett

Wrench Pro
Car
Corsa D SXi, 16v
chipping your car ie my corsa d sxi, does it give you more BHP, bought a dodgy one from ebay then decided against putting on. 20 quid to get 15BHP sounds to good:embarrest:. any advise please lads:confused:

chipping your car ie my corsa d sxi, does it give you more BHP, bought a dodgy one from ebay then decided against putting on. 20 quid to get 15BHP sounds to good:embarrest:. any advise please lads:confused:

Waste of time and it won't work. These 'things' simply corrupt the MAF sensor's signal. It'll also make a mess of the emission controls.

The only sensible way to change the ECU tune of your car is to have the ECU remapped.

However, anything without forced induction is unlikely to yield more than 6-8 extra bhp and even then it will all be top end gains.

Turbocharged cars with petrol engines respond very well to this. As do common rail turbo diesels. (VAG's PD engines also work well, I just find the 4 cylinder ones very rough)

Personally I'd not bother with the car you have. It's unlikely to make much difference without other induction and exhaust changes. The costs ramp up exponentially and the law of diminishing returns rears its ugly head.

didnt know that, who says u dont learn something every day. thanks lads(or ladies)
well i was presuming you knew! maybe you dont have a corsa d (the latest latest shape)????
but yes vauxhall/opel use letters to distinguish the mk's. corsa b is the mk1, corsa c is the mk2 and corsa d is the mk3

Vauxhall does utilise some strange ways to differentiate between model years. I'm not a Vauxhall fan (more members know this anyway) but a Corsa D is certainly not a way to tell us that it's a diesel one.

Few people buy diesel Corsas, which is a shame because the Fiat sourced diesels are very punchy engines. Not the most refined of diesels but they do go very well indeed and are very tuneable with a simple ECU code change.

it will give you power but itll not be good for the engine 15bhp ha more like 1.5. basically what youve bought make is a resister in a fancy packet. something that would have cost you pennies to make yourself

depends on whether or not he's bought an resistor or a real ecu chip. real ecu chips are often sold very cheaply on ebay from sellers in greece etc. some of these chips would be absolutely fine as they are all written using generic maps.They will not be tailored to your cars modifications, fuel choice etc, but will see some improvement provided the map is correct.
the problem comes if someone has mapped it using an incorrect map, which could potentially destroy your engine!

Personally, regardless of which type it is, dont use it. They are too much of a gamble imho.

chipping is pretty much a waste of time in a naturally aspirated car without hardware mods.

Yes, agreed. I'll extend chipping to include remapping via the OBD port.

Largely worthless in a naturally aspirated car without significant other alterations.

Some will give you a few more BHP but it's all at the top end of the rev range and almost certainly at the expense of fuel economy.

Modern diesels with the OBDII port are the best candidates for this type of tuning.

Many makers undertune their diesel models simply to justify selling petrol ones at a similar price.