Check your belts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I thought it was time to check my belts - in my engine and I'm really glad I did. The alternator and aircon belt have got cracks in them. Time to get that sorted.

Have you checked yours recently? A simple visual check can save you a load of hassle of a breakdown.

getting all mine changed next saturday!,also fitting upgraded waterpump while all the belts etc are off ,also new tensioners etc with cam belt

For first cambelt change I trust manufaturer recomendation for intended mileage. Every next change in all of my cars is taken after 70% of intended mileage. For egsample if first change is atempted on 90k km every next one is on 60k km.
Why?
Because I think there is some difference between first parts asembled on new car and aftermarket products.
Also, within every cambelt change I do preventive change of water pump, tensioners and inspections of engine seals.
In same time I change all other belts - those for servo, A/C, alternator etc.

You see, I'm kinda paranoid when car maintenance come. :lol:

Your paranoia is fully justified in my opinion, when I bought my car the previous owner couldn't confirm when the belts had last been changed so a lower price was agreed & I booked the car in for new belts, tensioners & water pump this is one of the tensioners the garage found when they done the work... :blink:

thisone.jpg

I don't think there was many miles left in that. :lol:

Luckily you have the same diagnosis as I have! ;)

That tensioner is an "engine disaster promiss"! Where the missing part landed? That missing part can easilly make damage to belt itself, not to mention tensioner would soon be apart and proove no tension at all.

Belts done last month on Focus, 9 years and 40k old. Fiesta doesn't need doing yet, 5 years old and on 40k too. Ford recommend 100k or 10 years which is rediculous imo. Will probably get the Fiesta done next winter, or do it my sen if I can be bothered.

100,000 miles is not silly any more. My 406 was scheduled for a timing belt change every 96,000 miles.

The BMW I am using at the moment uses a chain to drive the camshafts. As did my Primera. These should never require replacement if oil service schedules are followed.

I just can't agree with you there HDi. £270 camblet change vs. £1k top end rebuild and possibly more just isn't worth the risk. As above, it's often the tensioners that go first if anything.

5 years and 100,000 motorway miles is quite different in terms of cam belt wear to lots of short country trips over 10 years.

I'd say 5-6 years for a cambelt change regardless of the mileage. At least do a visual inspection for cracking and signs of wear.

Timing chain is ok. Just had my fan belt changed as cracks had appeared. Had a timing belt snap and bend my valves on another car a while ago now. So been there, done that. Get them checked peeps !!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back