Cheap performance exhausts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is there such a thing as a decent cheap performance exhaust? Do you get what you pay for or is it possible to bodge together a performance exhaust yourself with various parts?

On an Astra I had we removed the rear silencer completely and added a Cavalier front resonator to it. It flowed well, sounded great but didn't really do a lot for performance if I'm honest.

Then you start looking around at exhaust for Performance cars like the Impreza and Evo and a decent sports exhaust can cost over £1500!

What has been your experience with exhausts, particularly cheap ones?

Yes you do, but it's till depends upon application,

I can buy a pug sport group n exhaust for less than 200 notes, it's made from mild steel so will last only about 2 years at most, but an ss version costs double and the same gains have been recorded, so really, there is such thing and at the same time there isn't

I'd imagine you get what you pay for, both in terms of quality of the materials, but also into man hours of research into performance gains for specific cars.

The Milltek exhausts for the Audi RS4 B7 range from £1100 to £2100 depending on which one you go for. I can imagine though, Milltek have put many many hours of work into developing what they believe to be the perfect system. Hence they can reliably claim 20bhp gains, dyno proven.

Rob - how are you getting on with the RS4? Hope you're still getting a buzz from it

Yeah, its absolutely fantastic. I'm really glad I made the switch. Other than an exhaust, which you've probably guessed I have planned, there isn't really anything I can think of doing to the car. It's the best 'off the production line' car I have had thus far..

Miltek are always worth the money imo. Their stuff does what it says on the tin, and is definately what im gonna go with when im allowed to spend money on the car again!

I have cobbled together many exhausts before, random bits of pipe welded up to lose boxes etc, even the rado currently has a decat and centre box removed courtesy of yours truly. sounds great, and removing the cat defo made a difference, but the whole thing will be replaced in preparation for the Turbo conversion. Miltek Sport Cat and Straight through 3" exhaust system. Will sound epic, until i fit the turbo and quieten it all down again :(

Yeah, its absolutely fantastic. I'm really glad I made the switch. Other than an exhaust, which you've probably guessed I have planned, there isn't really anything I can think of doing to the car. It's the best 'off the production line' car I have had thus far..

Brilliant. Glad you're pleased with it. Given the amount of money you pump into your cars you deserve to be more than just content with or tolerant of it.

It's the definitive Audi ..4 really in my opinion. Takes the best of VAG's design and engineering brilliance and wraps it up into what is arguably one of the finest performance saloons cars available today.

Go and enjoy mate, you've more than paid for the privilege.

Kind Rgds,

P.