Chat Room?

Curd

Tuner
Car
91 Mitsubishi GTOTT
I'm fairly new to the site and was wondering why there isnt a chat room (unless there is and i havnt seen it) just seems like a good way to communicate more quickly and meet people. Is there or will there be a chat room in the near future?

Not a bad shout, what could be a good Idea I have seen on other forums is a Facebook chat style toolbar at the foot of the website only issue I can imagine is during the day the site is normally vry quiet.

But not bad shout mate

Well communications within the posts seem to be quite quick enough for most.
I should imagine that a chat room would demand huge server processing power, not to mention an extremely reliable high speed broadband connection at TC HQ.

If there is enough interest in the concept, I am sure that Waynne will look into it to see if it is viable! All I can say for now is; watch this space! :)

yeah i was just wondering if there was a problem with having one....just so that you can catch up with people and see what people are upto without searching through the forums

Chatrooms take up massive server resources. Each person requires one reload every second to get the latest posts, 10 people with 10 reloads a second (even if nothing has changed or been posted) and you're at twice the server capacity of our current site.

They also become very off topic and chatty, and some get rather bitchy - personally I prefer to see things discussed on topic and within structured threads and this way they become useful to other people finding the old discussions.

Theres nothing stopping you from posting a "what are you doing" or "just chatting" thread in our general chat forum, you'll just have to do the page reloads manually though.

Wayne thats fair play in what you are saying but you need to realise that this is as you put in the title of the site a friendly place to be so the whole point of the website is to be in a enjoyable environment where you can just ask hi how are you e.t.c. with out having to worry if or if not it is on topic or not.

You do not and should not expect a strict set of conversations to take place in 80% of context it is structured just because of the topics e.t.c.

And it doesn't scream much faith in the members on here by thinking it will turn bitchy does it?

I understand the strain on the servers but I am very disapointed from the reaction toward what members would discuss on a 'chat room' it just screams lack of trust

Last edited:
Don't think we need a chat room myself, if you want to talk to someone send a PM & as Os pointed out, the threads replies are usually quite quick & there's plenty of places for off topic chats whether its just gassing about the weather or how god awful a film is. :D

You've also got;

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/groups/

Where you can set up & manage your own groups.

If that's not enough, we've all got access to various messengers to so if you update your profile with your preferred messenger service then folk can chat with you that way. :D I'm usually available on G+ messenger & Google Talk.

If your really desperate to talk to someone you could always pick up the phone...

Wayne thats fair play in what you are saying but you need to realise that this is as you put in the title of the site a friendly place to be so the whole point of the website is to be in a enjoyable environment where you can just ask hi how are you e.t.c. with out having to worry if or if not it is on topic or not.

You do not and should not expect a strict set of conversations to take place in 80% of context it is structured just because of the topics e.t.c.

And it doesn't scream much faith in the members on here by thinking it will turn bitchy does it?

I understand the strain on the servers but I am very disapointed from the reaction toward what members would discuss on a 'chat room' it just screams lack of trust

I think Waynne was just saying "some chat rooms get bitchy!" he wasn't making any comments about our forum and what might happen. I doubt ours would get bitchy here but new members are often posting spam or trolling and the mods get to cut most of this out before it gets into the main forum and seen by our members. Chat rooms cannot be easily moderated.

The main reason is the amount of server resources they hog. We will chat about this suggestion behind the scenes as all ideas and suggestions are considered.

Aren't chat rooms a 90's thing? I didn't think anyone used them any more! :lol:

Okay here's an idea: I've seen a forum where they have a 'shout box' on the front page where members type messages & have brief informal chats. It would be kind of self moderating as all messages would be in public view. Would that be any good? :)

Okay here's an idea: I've seen a forum where they have a 'shout box' on the front page where members type messages & have brief informal chats. It would be kind of self moderating as all messages would be in public view. Would that be any good? :)

That's an idea Loz, if this would not take up any more server resources then it is certainly an option that Admin and Waynne could explore. What I would NOT want to see is any slowing down of any of our forum performance; just so that a few individuals can shoot the breeze in real time :blink: As you quite rightly pointed out Loz there is the PM and if that person is then trusted enough by he or she's original point of contact, then they can exchange telephone numbers - simples!

@ PP, as has been touched on here already, a chat room would be ridiculously difficult to moderate as it would require somebodys time in huge quantity's to make sure that everything was running smoothly and that no liberty taking was going on. All of the moderators here on TC are hand picked for their tolerance, understanding and general knowledge of the site, also I should point out the fact that we are all volunteers who regularly give up our time to help Waynne to keep this site running as brilliantly as it does.

You would not believe the amount of spamming, trolling and other unauthorised advertising attempts that this site has to deal with on an hourly basis. The moderators time is largely taken up with removing as much of this nonsense as possible before it is viewed by our members, some of the content intercepted is a little disturbing, to remove similar things on a chat room would be a logistical nightmare for all concerned!

We have a duty of care on this website which is a FAMILY FRIENDLY FORUM! to protect our members to the very best of our ability. :)

It's a fair enough point if it will slow the site, but it could just be another option for people to communicate. It just came to me as i wanted to ask a question about a member on here but didnt want to make a big post about it, just wanted to ask a group of people a quick question.

It's just sometimes good to be able to have a random chat with a group of people with similar interests, which is the whole point of the site I think.

Anyway, this thread was just to ask the question and see if anybody had considered or mentioned it before...I don't mind if there is one or isn't, It's a good site either way

There's no problem with your suggestion whatsoever curd, we really do appreciate members suggestions and ideas - in fact we encourage it :)

Given the multiplicity of chat rooms available elsewhere on the 'net it seems needless for Torque Cars to have its own given the hosting demands that such things create.

Btw I hope you don't think I was making a needless snipe at you wayne it is just how it came across that is all.

It was a very valid and constructive question and I think it has been answered in a similar manner

re the shout box idea............

I am admin on another car forum and we have a shout box and I am thinking or getting rid off it.

In my experience in the long run it has acheived nothing positive.

They always turn into exacly what they are called....... a shout box.

Once the initial attraction has worn off it only seems to get used by people as a short cut for personal agendas and to "show off"
It also has on more than one occassion been hijacked and turned into a personal soap box and there isnt much you can do. Besides once you start to have to moderate a shout box its time it went.

And often people just post contraversial remarks up just to get a response,

And of course the phrase.................. if it aint broke really does seem relavent

Last edited: