Cat C and Cat D Cars

Puntopimp

Track Warrior
Car
1.8 TDCI Ford S-Max
Does getting a car which used to be a Cat C car effect the insurance premiums negatively? Because I have been offered a Cat C which has a key scratch only down the side.

What is the true effect?? And to make it Cat C no more what do I need to do to make it legal to drive? Do I need to contact VOSA?

My st24 was a cat D had substantial front end damage in 2004 when it was 4 years old.
It made no difference to insurance.
When I brought it in 2009 I knew this it also stated it in the registration certificate.
It also stated the reg number was non transferable.
It was a fine car you would never know it had been repaired it was no issue to me whatsoever.
I traded it in for my current car I got a fair price for a 13 year old car with almost 100k
on it.

VIC test is easy, they just check the chassis and engine numbers tally up with the V5. as Turbonutter69 says just contact VOSA an book it. Just remember though, the car has to go to the test centre on a trailer, you aren't allowed to drive it there.

Not correct.
I bought a Cat C Rover 200 a few years ago with no tax or mot and without a log book as it needed a vic test.
I insured it. Booked it in my local garage for the mot and booked the vic test for the same day.
I drove it to the mot garage, drove 20 odd miles to Derby for the vic test. Then 20 odd miles back home. Then had to drive it to Nottingham to the DVLA to tax it. I covered around 60-70 miles without a problem before it was actually taxted.
The point being as long as it's booked in it can be driven there.

VIC test is easy, they just check the chassis and engine numbers tally up with the V5. as Turbonutter69 says just contact VOSA an book it. Just remember though, the car has to go to the test centre on a trailer, you aren't allowed to drive it there.

Sorry if I'm wrong but that's the way it is here in NI. I just assumed it was the same on the mainland. I took a cat C Clio up 3 months ago (only needed a wishbone and new wheel) and DVLNI informed me it had to be trailered there.