boot build help

azzy

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 620ti
hi plz can u help i want to build a fibre glass sub boz in boot for 4 12inch subs. wat do i need wat size mdf and the other things.

i would advise 12mm minimum for the MDF or use plywood instead. fiberglass tissue (lots of) resin hardner. i would also advise some flecce.
stretch the fleece over your basic design then coat with the resin .

ALSO get practise in with building with the fiberglass

onlines cheapest, wood can be gotten easy enough from a hadware shop but youll ned tools to work the wood -router for example
if you dont have all this itll prob be easier to get someone to do it for you as they will be able to whack it togeather i no time where as it might take you weeks in the house to set it up

ok i will try. so how do i do this step by step. i made my design. wat do i do next how many layers of resin. ?

build it in wood, make sure it all fits then start fiberglassing.

easiest way would be go on the bay and look under arts and crafts and by some fleece, strech and staple this across the build then paint on the resin and allow it to go off slightly then start layering in the tissue more resin more tissue resin. should only need around 3 or 4 layers as its not going to have any weight on it, the subs should be supported by the wood

you could use the mdf boxes as a start, itll save you trying to work out how much air is needed by each sub and creating a box to those requirements,
after the3rd layer drill and put in some screws onto the mdf then add the final layer if your woried about cracking shouldnt be a problem as like i said the boxes themselves are taking the weight.

use as little harderner as possible if it goes of too quickly its more likely to crack. also it will give you more time to apply it, too little and itll take weeks to set.
make it in small amounts by whats on the packet generally gives you around 10 mins before it goes off.

thanks mate i will try this next week. erm 1 more thing how do i sett my amps with the voltmeter so its right. ?

mate a few tips for fiberglass resin get yourself a pack of latex gloves (its horrible to work with when you get it on your hands), either get plenty of cheap brushes for the application of the resin or get some cellulose thinners to wash the brush out (only thinners i found that worked), buy extra hardener (what they supply you with never seems to be enough), in this cold weather i would actually add a little more hardener (the drying time of the resin is determined by how hot or cold it is where you are working) and most important make sure you are happy with the shape of the stretched fleece and it is stapled down very securely before applying any resin
hope this helps mate:bigsmile:

gona have 4 12s each one is 1200 watts . 2 amps each one is 1800 watts then last amp is 4 channel for my mids and 6x9 running 600 watts. wat farad will i need and will it sound ok. they are kenwoods the lot

dont bother reading the speakers go with the amp ones, your looking for around 1 farad for 1000w i would say 3Farad would be enough as your never going to hgave it running full whack. even then most amps are rated at 14.4 volts not the 13v your engine wil run around

gona have 4 12s each one is 1200 watts . 2 amps each one is 1800 watts then last amp is 4 channel for my mids and 6x9 running 600 watts. wat farad will i need and will it sound ok. they are kenwoods the lot

You need to find out the RMS output of your amps for the right Power Cap.
The general rule is 1 farad per 1000watts of RMS output. Not max output it goes on RMS.