Best order to do mods

billyo

Track Warrior
What is the best order to do mods. Does it matter much and what can you get away with and which must you always leave till last.

I think brakes and suspension first and remap last but wondered what all you tuners usually do.

Well it really depends how far your going with the mods? If your going for serious Bhp then brakes and suspension should be a must. But I do know a few people that get the power first and then ugrade everything else after. As far as the engine itself goes the remap would come last as this would tie in all the other mods. But I guess it's how brave you are when you ugrade the Bhp an leave the other bits till after.

i would do basic things first, Induction kit exhaust and tyres 1st. then suspension and only brakes if i was taking the power up something stupid

remaps should be left till last for most cars with the exception of turbos as its a good 1st mod. Then a custom remap can be done once everything else is in place

power is nothing without control
\
so if you plan to bring the ponys up, you should start with suspension, brakes and good tyres, plus these probably are the cheapest out of the 2 (turbo, ecu etc etc) should be second on the list

I'd say the remap should be last if you're adding engine perfomance enhancing parts. A custom remap will tune everything and take all the parts into account to give the best power gain. A standard remap can be done at any time as it is not tailor made to the mods.

yea remap last, get everything else in place, then a remap lets them all to perform to their best

There is no definitive answer to this question, depends on the spec of the car to start with. Some cars have a great grounding to start from, therefore where you go next dictates this.

1st modification would be the driver.............fast driving course, skid pan etc. Pointless having the power and the driving skills of Bambi ;)

Tyres, these are as important as the driver.

Handling is next, get the chassis nice and tight, includes the steering. It doesn't mean spending silly money. Just polybush what you can then take it from there. Stiffed the springs, lowered, lower c of g.

LSD or ATB, makes as much difference as power, again have all the power and no means of putting it on the black stuff.

Then you can go on from here:

Induction kit, caf, but choose wisely, some kits will sap power.

Exhaust, sports cat, decat, manifolds.

Cams.

Remaps can be a waste of money on some cars as they are only good for OE set-ups. When going the whole hog you really need a custom ecu that can be programmed 'on the fly'.

Some ecu's are adaptable so can manage induction, exhausts and some can accept new cams, remapping will only improve the torque curve and thus open the factory default parameters for nasp engines. These tend to be some Siemens type, not all.

After that you get into turbos, superchargers etc, then you may as well have an engine transplant and go for something that has more scope for power to start with.