best affordable practical performance car

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
What do you consider to be the best affordable Practical Performance car? I often think the VR4 Legnum is up there along with the Volvo T5R and BMW 540I Estate All have great Performance, can carry furniture, can be slept in easily (very important) and are relatively cheap these days to buy.

I meant the volvo r type estates in general, still apart from looks i think the vr4 trumps the volvo and £ for £ it trumps a lot more

I meant the volvo r type estates in general, still apart from looks i think the vr4 trumps the volvo and £ for £ it trumps a lot more

i have to disagree mate you can buy an "R" for £1000 and remap it for £150 fit a mbc and have 300bhp for next to no money, and still get 32mpg lol and they look alot nicer here is a pic of mine.

nvolvov70r2.jpg

O yes the legnum is one ugly car but compare the numbers to some high performance expensive prestige german estates and it makes total sense. The Volvo is the bargain basement stealth performance estate but the old 540i also offers a lot for little

you can get near 300bhp with a t5 with just a remap and an mbc you can pick an old t5 up for £500 so i think that would trump just about anything £ per £ bhp wise

Last edited:
you can get near 300bhp with a t5 with just a remap and an mbc you can pick an old t5 up for £500 so i think that would trump just about anything £ per £ bhp wise

I read an article in an old ppc magazine about tuning the old red top 4 cyl (b23) volvo engines, an easy 500bhp and rear wheel drive as standard. trumps a lot, also a bell housing converter is available off the shelf in Sweden to put both the redtop and the t5 engines into e30 3 series, (cheap m3 eater)old volvos have a lot going for them as true practical performance cars

I read an article in an old ppc magazine about tuning the old red top 4 cyl (b23) volvo engines, an easy 500bhp and rear wheel drive as standard. trumps a lot, also a bell housing converter is available off the shelf in Sweden to put both the redtop and the t5 engines into e30 3 series, (cheap m3 eater)old volvos have a lot going for them as true practical performance cars

yeah the redtops have a much stronger bottom end than the whites but you will need to spend quite a bit of dough to get it to that power

Scrap them. An EVO!!!! :D

Nice big saloon car, fast, ricaro seats that can be slept in, ever get board of it, spend £500 on mods and it will feel like a new car. You can pick up 7'ns for around £7000. Or 5s for around £6000.

The Legnums are excellent value for money.

Twin turbo V6, AYC from the Evos, AWD and you can throw a mattress in the back!

Just be careful if you choose the tiptronic box. Once they go bang, it won't be cheap to replace.

O yes the legnum is one ugly car but compare the numbers to some high performance expensive prestige german estates and it makes total sense. The Volvo is the bargain basement stealth performance estate but the old 540i also offers a lot for little

yeah alot of fuel consumption that is lol, would like one though