Avensis T180 - optimizing?

O

o27

Whats the best place to start optimizing my Avensis T180 (T25, 2007), it no longer feels as agile as it used to (have 153.000 km on the clock).

The speeder respons is no more as fast as I would like it to be, and I´m missing som low rev power - not much going on below 2.400 rpm.

I thougt ODB tuning was the way to go, but one of our leading tuning firms (here in Denmark) said ODB wasn´t possible on this particular engine (177 HK).

He suggested a regular box, which I was a little disappointed about, as it would mean, not getting a custom optimized setup for my particular engine.

Would you agree?

Or what else to do.

Toyota engines are a nightmare to remap. Most desparate enough to do this will fit an aftermarket engine management unit.

I'd get a compression test done and just make sure that the block is still in good order. It could probably do with a decoke, if the head were taken off id suggest getting a 3 angle valve job done along with some porting polishing and gas flowing.

Was the car recently serviced? Dirty plugs, faulty leads etc can dent performance.

Low power under 2000rpm could be to a clogged egr valve. This is common. Search for t180 egr cleaning on the toyota owners club forum and there is a good set of instructions with pictures that someone has complied. I believe it only takes about 15 min to do and can make a big difference.