Automatic to Manual

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying a gorgeous Porsche 928 in need of a little TLC. It's a 4.7L Automatic... wondering how difficult it would be to turn it into a manual?

all you need is the box fly wheel maybe a mount here and there but that should be on the box
pedal box and cables for the clutch maybe drive shafts

thats what i can think of off the top of my head
but some engines are only made for the auto /manual for bolt holes ect

how come you want to put a manual in it or has the box gone

how come you want to put a manual in it or has the box gone

It's for two reasons. Firstly it really really needs some TLC and it's a really nice car for a good price so it suits my pocket. Secondly manual Porsche 928s are so far and few between. I know it's cheating but I'd be using a genuine 928 manual box.

The clutch is probably hydraulic but that's easily dealt with if you can get the parts.

In general I'd suggest that such a conversion is pointless in mainstream cars but with a 928 (which is nowhere near mainstream, even by Porsche's standards!) things are totally different in my opinion and it's a project well worth pursuing.

Cheers! Well, with any luck I'll have the car soon and I'll post pics on here when I break out the hammers :toung:

How long do you reckon it will take then?

Honestly don't know. Depends when I can get the car and when I can source the gearbox. It's probably take 3 times as long and cost 3 times as much as I expect it to. But it'll be 3 times worth it :p