audi 2.0 fsi low mpg

b basi

Car
audi a4 2004 2.0fsi
sorry the title of the post sould be low mpg. Hello everyone i have a audi a4 2.0 fsi 53 plate auto,when my fuel light came on i reset my fuel computer to zero put 4 gallons of petrol in (18 liters)drove around slowly trying to get the most mpg when the fuel light came back on i covered 102 miles,which works out to be just over 25 mpg which i think is very bad.i have done a diangnostic check on the car and no faults were found,i would be very greatful for any help.

Last edited:
Re: audi 2.0 fsi high mpg

Welcome to the site.to be honest i dont think it will do much more than that as automatics use it bit more than a manual have you changed oil,oil filter and air filter as this will help bring it to the correct mpg as it will be running correct also make sure the tyre pressures are all correct as this will cause drag if they are to low.

Hi dan thanks for the reply, service is coming up in a few months time so will see if that makes a diffrerence if not will have to get an audi a4 diesel as i like everything about the car apart from the low mpg.

Diesel one should do about 40-45mpg easy my 1.8 16v petrol laguna does about 100-120 miles to 20 pound according to dash im doing about 27.1 mpg depending on my driving if i was going for an audi it would be diesel as they are as quick as the petrol engine i could not justify the price of an audi or i would of had one.

I got the audi with the multitronic gearbox as i had read
has better acceleration
uses less fuel, and
provides a more comfortable ride than a comparable car with a 5-speed manual gearbox
but i did not realise how much fuel my car would be using thats why i thought there was something wrong with my car but the diangnostic check said everything is ok.just put air in the tyres so will see if there is any difference.

That does seem very bad to me! I wonder if it is running rich. You should get about 310 miles on a tank upto about 400 on the motorway with lots of long runs.

Try some redex and superunleaded and also do a good warm engine thrash to clear it out. MPG does drop quite a bit in the winter and a lot depends on how you drive it.

Lift off well before junctions, try to avoid braking slowing up in advance of the obstruction ahead and don't use more than 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and see what you get MPG wise.

I guess you best power to economy RPM range is around 3000rpm so try to keep the car in this sort of range wherever you can.

I had a service done with audi on 19/05/09 @ 61000 and asked them to do a dianositic check as i thought the car was using more fuel than it should be and they found nothing wrong on the dianositic,when the service is next due i will ask them to do a MAF reading,i try to drive the car as slowly as possible trying not to go over 2000 rpm.

Thats too low in the RPM band if you ask me, the engine is hardly getting into it's stride, change at 3000rpm and use light throttle.

IMHO "Fuel usage is more dependent on where your foot is on the throttle than the RPM the engine is doing."

changed the thread to low mpg.
the computer works it out by using your maf to measure the air flow and utilises injector rates so isnt 100% accurate when your accelerating. try taking it on a motorway and see what you get

Thanks for change of thread,might try to change the gears manually to see if that makes a difference,stoped using the gears manually due to the car revving high in manually.

Sorry I must apologise, I forgot it was an auto box. You don't have a lot of control over the change point. I wonder if this can be electronically altered somehow? The auto boxes also have longer gear ratios. Please disregard my comments about changing at 3000 rpm.:D:embarrest:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back