Are modern engines too quiet

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Having seen a few people trying to start their already running engines I got thinking. New engines are getting very smooth and quiet.

Do you think this is a good think? Do you like to hear the engine or is it just the exhaust note you want to hear?

Have you ever restarted an already running engine? My A3 actually locks preventing this from happening, you only get one go at starting the engine then you have to turn the key all the way to off and then back again for a second go.

Ive tried to restart a running engine but only when i was learning and that was one time, i thought id stalled the car and i hadnt so i panicked a bit and turnt the key again. Needless to say my driving intructor wasnt very impressed.

Depends on the car, if its a big car built for comfort and cruising then yeh i like a quiet engine but if its meant to be a bit sporty then i want to hear the engine.

tried to resart the civic once, thought i had stalled it as well. Boras the same you cant restart it if you dont sucessuly start it 1st time.

sometime the quietness is a bad thing, mates not long traded his 2.2 vectra in for a 1.9 megane. and the noise is the problem hes found himself doing 3 figure speeds and not even noticing it.
i found the same with the hire golf and had to switch on the speed warning

I can't turn my clio back on unless I turn it off first, it does however mean I don't know IF I stall, because I don't have a rev counter :)

I didn't think you'd have any doubt your engine was running Wezzel due to the noise it makes?;)

I guess if you like your sounds to be loud then not having a rev counter is a bit of a problem.

I posted in another thread saying that my exhaust had been taken off ;)

I got bored of it and took it off and put the standard one on, with the induction kit still in their in case I want a bit of a roar ;)

I noticed my driving has changed since too :p!

I'm not sure that they are. My experience with a new Vectra 1.8 SRi led me to think that they're getting noisier.

I don't think an engine can ever be too quiet.

the new ford engines are really quite, in the fusion ive had to rev it abit to see if i had actually started it lol

Lexus probably holds the title for the quietest car ever; not just engine but overall refinement, wind noise, tyre noise etc.

Anyone who has ever ridden in an LS400 or 430 has a good idea of what it might be like to be dead!

A few of my mates have bought new cars that are really quiet but my sister who just passed her test bought a 1.3 suzuki swift and it sounds electric upto 4000rpm, not very nice at all.