Am I sane? e38 and something else!

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
First, look what I found for you petrol heads http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/alpina/bmw-alpina-b12-v12-6-0l/4381835 ..............NICE!

Not for me however I am getting a childish urge to look at E38 7 series cars, I have more or less owned every genre of car, sports, super, hatch, family, convertible, camper, you name it but never a luxury car (Unless the mighty SEC counts) Now after some research it seems S classes are available in diesel for a song but somehow the e38 BM seems much nicer, Am I nuts for considering a flagship car which is almost 20 years old. it seems that the late 80's to late 90's were the golden age of reliability when it comes to German cars and possibly cars in general. Any thoughts?

Finally what do you think of this one,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151736185093?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I recently bought a Mitsubishi FTO, it is 20 years old but I do love it already!

As long as you have a bit of time and money to put into it (even less if its been looked after) then I say go for it!

Having had to do quite a bit on mine its a love hate relationship.

As for the 740i I like it! The Alpina is way out of my price range!

The E38 is a very nice piece of machinery. I'd leave the 728i alone, the 2.8 was fine in the E39 5 series - to my mind the 7 is slightly too heavy for it's 193bhp. A 730i would be a very nice proposition. It's unlikely to let you down. BMW parts are very very good value and they're pretty straightforward to work on.

They eat up miles effortlessly and the engines never seem to age, even with over 250,000 miles on the clock they will drive like new provided basic servicing has been carried out properly.

I can't see any reason why a V12 would be a problem apart from the circa 22-23mpg in general use.

No V12 for me I'm afraid, But what a machine all the same, Any thoughts on the price for the lpg car?

Everyone should experience a V8 at some point in their lives, proper torque, none of this fake turbo torque. :lol:

Seriously there is truth in the old saying, There's no replacement for displacement.

V8s are nice but torque is torque, whether forced induction or NA. Turbocharging now is pretty good compared to 25-30 years ago. Not perfect I agree. And cost no object I'd take a V8/V12 BiTurbo.

It's still for sale. Crazy i know but I don't like a grey interior. Also the price seems a bit steep.

Exactly. It was actually the lpg which appealed to me. Though realistically having owned a couple of lpg cars I thought it was more hassle than it was worth

I was looking at the eBay listing at the bottom of the thread, Sure no doubt the Alpina is a great weapon

Last edited: