All the new things they can fine you for.

Chris Green

Torque Junkie
Car
SEAT Leon 2.0l TDi
In the aftermath of the latest set of new driving 'crimes' to be announced, I don't suppose many people would mind if they stepped up the penalty for hand-held phone users or tail-gaters. They both want shooting as far as I'm concerned.

However, it's this 'hogging the middle lane' thing that makes me a little uneasy, and I can see a lot of people getting fined based on a traffpol officer's whim rather than their own perception of any wrong-doing. For example, we all know most of our motorways are crowded most of the time, leading to a seemingly endless stream of trucks regulated to 56 mph and coaches limited to 65mph in the left hand lane. Anyone trying to keep up a law-abiding (sat-nav) 70mph will either be faced with constantly slowing down to 56 mph every time they move over, risking not being able to move out again for miles, or run the risk of a cop who reckons they're 'hogging the lane'.

My usual take on the situation is that I'll move over if there's at least a quarter mile between me and the next truck on the left (ideally if there's nothing ahead at all!), as with a closing speed of 14mph, I'll soon be looking at their rear number plate in the space of a minute. If it wasn't for the 'de facto' 80mph limit which everybody seems to drive by, I'd feel more inclined to move over more frequently as I'd be able to get out again. As long as they only start fining those who've been daydreaming and forgotten to move over when there's been nothing on the left for miles, then I guess we'd all be happy.

I'm not wishing to sound holier-than-thou, but I prefer to stick to the 70mph limit on long motorway drives, as I've yet to get anywhere earlier than expected by speeding on a motorway. Now then, give me a nice twisty A-road...................

I too hope this is sensibly enforced.If the inside lane is empty there is virtually no reason why you should sit in the middle lane.

I trust that the drivers who do this will at least think twice about jamming up our roads.

It'll be fine - the Traffic Police are not about to waste time issuing FP notices just cos you don't hurl the car to the left five inches after overtaking.

If the road is empty (late at night for example) I drive in the middle lane as advised by my advanced driving instructor. He recommended that you drive in the middle of the available space as this allows you the best chance of controlling the car in the event of a blow out, mechanical breakage, object in road, etc.

When I see when someone approaching I pull into the inside lane in plenty of time so as not to cause a problem.