ALFA ROMEO 33,1992, 1.7, sw, i.e., cat

tigrotto

Car
Alfa33SW1.7ie/92cat
Hello everyone, my name is Sandy. I'm originally from Toronto-Canada, but now I live in Bergamo, Italy.

I NEED YOUR HELP !!!

I've bought an Alfa Romeo with electronic fuel injection and I was wondering whether if anyone can give me some tips on how to reduce the fuel consumption of the boxer motor of the Alfa 33 (It has 8 valves, and no A/C). I bought it with a LANDI LPG system installed, and it only gets 10 km/litre.

I was wondering if specially made spark plugs, spark plug wires, coils,air filters and motor oil exist for cars that run on LPG, which contribute to improved fuel economy ? Do the valves need extra lubrication ? They sell additives in spray cans that are injected into the tank. Do they really work, or are the additives already present sufficient ?Is the lubricant in the LPG sufficient to protect the valves ?

I've realized that about every 2 weeks I need to add radiator coolant. There are no signs of water on the pavement. At the end of the oil dip-stick I found the presence of water! (previously, I added 2 different types of oil additives to the synthetic motor oil, one of which was STP). How can I make sure that the problem is, or is not not caused by a broken head gasket or something else ? Do the radiator coolant additives or oil additives that claim to seal/repair head gaskets and small cracks of the head and engine block really work? If so, what do you reccomend ?

Thanks,

Sandy

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

As for water loss I would recommend you get the 'sniff' test done to accertain whether you have head gasket woes or not. As for the LPG questions I thought you would run the normal recommended items for a petrol engine. The LPG conversion should be seamless.

Run a quarter of a tank of petrol through it. Something nice like shell Vpower or similar and that should clean up any deposits that might have built up.

Do you know what MPG you should be getting? LPG is generally a little lower than petrol but it costs a lot less which is where the saving is.

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

As for water loss I would recommend you get the 'sniff' test done to accertain whether you have head gasket woes or not. As for the LPG questions I thought you would run the normal recommended items for a petrol engine. The LPG conversion should be seamless.
Hi Stamford, and thanks !
I now live in Italy, so please explain to me exactly what is the "sniff" test so that I can explain it to my mechanic ?

I do not understand what you mean by the last 2 sentences in your answer: Italy has the highest fuel prices in Europe,and so since LPG costs half of what gasoline/petrol costs, and the tank can be installed where the spare tire goes, I chose this alternative.
Hope to hear from you,
Sandy

Run a quarter of a tank of petrol through it. Something nice like shell Vpower or similar and that should clean up any deposits that might have built up.

Do you know what MPG you should be getting? LPG is generally a little lower than petrol but it costs a lot less which is where the saving is.
Thanks Waynne, I will try what you suggested.

The most important issue for now is the loss of radiator coolant. What can I do myself to understand if I am losing radiator coolant due to a broken head gasket ?

Do you know on which web-site i can find an electric water pump for my car ?

Thanks,

Sandy

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back