Airbox mod

stinkbomb

Car
Peugeot 307 2.0 xsi
Hi all,

just come across this forum so thought it the place to ask my Q's :)

I have a 307 2.0 Xsi 2002. Just bought a K&N Panel filter, though before putting it in i was thinking of modding the airbox too for extra air gains.

I have seen examples on many sites for drilling out the airbox and also read posts advising on 'de-restricting' instead. From what i understand de-restricting is taking some bits out of the airbox; may fins or something?? This sounds a better option as i wouldnt want to drill holes in the wrong place and wind up sucking in hot air.

So the question - has anybody any experience with moding an airbox on the 307 xsi, if so which option is best for enhancing performance and could you be so kind as to spell out the way to do it :D

Cheers guys and gals

i have no experience smoothing a 307 air box but the principle is the same on all cars and when i did mine it was just a case of using a dremmel and cutting the excess plastic out (as you already said) and then using sand paper to get as smooth as possible

and when you have finished doing so washing the air box several times cause you dont want any bits of plastic being sucked into your maf/engine as for drilling the box its personal choice im considering doing it just for a slightly louder dv woosh not really worried about the bit of warm air it will suck in cause i have added a 2nd air intake and a larger feed to the air box

im the same as herb i took a chisel and stanley to the ribs in my air box rather than use a dremal ( no melted plastic to scrap off) made it lovely and smooth
thead about it here along with some reading taken.

you can drill out the air box with a large hole (52 mm) and fit some ducting to it if your worried about hot air

Last edited:
im the same as herb i took a chisel and stanley to the ribs in my air box rather than use a dremal ( no melted plastic to scrap off) made it lovely and smooth
thead about it here along with some reading taken.

you can drill out the air box with a large hole (52 mm) and fit some ducting to it if your worried about hot air

mate i never even considered using a chisel
doh.gif
oh well you learn from your mistakes i suppose http://www.mk3oc.org/forum/images/smilies/doh.gif

i didnt have the dremmal handy at the time. scored the bottom of the ribs with the stanley, chiseled the sides and just bent them over to brake them off cleanly.

stinkbomb, do youknow if the gti or 180 engine has a bigger intake ? if so you can to modify it to fit in place of your standard ducting. for example ive taken the ducting and snorkel form the golf R32 and fitted it for better airflow

hi guys,

thanks for the replies.

pgarner: honestly not sure about the intake size difference, though seems like a good thing to find out :)

did either of you notice any real difference in either throttle response/fuel consumption/performance/sound levels after making the mod? not all that fussed to spend hours smoothing it out if there isn't going to be much in the way of gains

cheers again

yeah throttle responce felt sharper, turbo felt to spool up quicker as well. no difference in fuel consumtion or sound. only took me around an hour to smooth.

did you look at the thread ? MAF readings before and after are there more air = more power, along with pics or my old and new intakes so you can see the difference in size

hi pg - yeah read the thread thanks. About as much exp as i have with engines is giving them a bit of a service so this is all new to me :) I see there is a difference in the before & after though wasn't sure what this translated to in terms of power etc.

:)

yeah more air, best if its cold as you know, as i didnt bother to take a reading of the torque i cant translate what kind of difference this done to mine. still havent put a high flow filter in place yet as the OEM was near enough new when i did this, needs service shortly so might change it them

cool - well i have a K&N panel filter here to chuck in too - after reading all this i think i might just spend a little time tomorrow and remove all the ribs from the box :-D

cheers guys ----- next will be lowering springs because OMG the traction on the front end sucks like a cheap hooker :-D

Hi, does anyone know if when i replace my original air box on my 306 hdi to a performance one, what do i do with the wire that runs to the ecu and will it make any difference to the ecu settings, just cautious cus its been remapped and i don't want it to bugger up.

Cheers

Hi, does anyone know if when i replace my original air box on my 306 hdi to a performance one, what do i do with the wire that runs to the ecu and will it make any difference to the ecu settings, just cautious cus its been remapped and i don't want it to bugger up.

Cheers

The airboxes are the same across the range. My 2.2 HDi has the same panel filter as both the 2.0 (90 and 110) motors. Personally I wouldn't bother changing it, you'll only get 1-2lbft more torque - all you'll have is a more noise to contend with. I'm not sure what the wire does, but I'm guessing it's air intake temperature.

diesels already flow high as it is. and as HDis alreadys said its the same airbox on is 2.2 so will flow enough air easy enough.

if your after noise you could drill holes in the base. if you get a prper induction kit it should come with an instructions where to put this wire.

Thanks HDI fun, a mate of mine gave me a performance box from an old car of his and said it would sound more sporty with it on, saying this he hasn't heard my car already, it has a full mongoose exhaust system and a bmc air filter which gives it a smooth deep bellowing sporty sound which i like. I'm not really bothered about weather it boosts the performance but i just don't want it to make that nasty rasping sound like you get from some of these boy racer cars, i was just hoping that it might make it a bit deeper in tone.

If anyone has had any experience of this it would be great to know, Cheers.

i wouldnt worry about this the thing rubber pipes more likely to colapse long beore the ABS plastic falls apart

The rubber hoses on mine appear to be braided (I assume with nylon or some other polymer to help resist implosion when the engine is drawing breath.

I don't think that an induction mod on a turbo diesel will do all that much to make it sound nice. If you have a nice throaty baritone exhaust then all it possible all you'll hear is more turbo hiss. This actually sounds quite nice though. The turbo in mine is quite audible, even under gentle acceleration you can just about determine the almost ultrasonic hiss it makes. If you open the rear windows you get a lot of turbo noise and very little diesel noise indeed.

Why are the ribs there anyway?
The ribs are actually there to create turbulance and reduce the induction noise.

It's a similar process in the exhaust, by breaking up the flow of gases and introducing some swirling you lose a lot of the pulse noise.

In my opinion it doesn't make much of a difference sound wise but does improve throttle and mid/peak power a little.

Strictly not a question about air boxes but to do with the air system.

I want to put a large-ish ram air scoop on my 306 but it looks like the only place to put it is on the front underneath the car where water cab be scooped, I'm using an apollo cis induction kit, how resistant is the air filter at restricting water from coming through the filter and is there any significant risk that the engine will be flooded?

It is a big risk. Drive through a flood and you've had it. The air filter is good at dissipating spots of water that get in. You could dry an open scoope that feeds air near to the intake but this will negate the ram air effect but that said the ram air effect doesn't kick in until you hit well over 70mph anyway.

Another option is to cut and impreza style vent in the bonnet and do it that way;)

So how about heavy rain at motor way speed? Is there any way of protecting the filter. By putting a waterproof material that will let air pass over the scoop without compromising the ram effect?

It's all about compromises in this area really. Personally I think ram air effect is pointless in most street cars.

1) You need to be going rediculously fast to benefit at all
2) You have the problem of sucking in water.

Now it might be possible to put a bend in the intake hose and a small hole in the bottom. But bends are not good for airflow so you will be negating much of the benefits IMHO. But anyway this should get the water to crash out and drip away. I don't think rain will present much of a problem though especially if the ram scoop is particularly long.

Cheers for the advice I was thinking similiar just didn't think of the drain hole. I just want to try and optimise the air flow in my intake system, without replacing the front grille, which is the more expensive option. I'll let u kno how it goes.

Strictly not a question about air boxes but to do with the air system.

I want to put a large-ish ram air scoop on my 306 but it looks like the only place to put it is on the front underneath the car where water cab be scooped, I'm using an apollo cis induction kit, how resistant is the air filter at restricting water from coming through the filter and is there any significant risk that the engine will be flooded?

Just connect it to the scoop just by the bonnet catch and just cut it back so it get the air from under the bonnet rather than under the grill

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back