Advice for beginners to tuning

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What sage advice and wise words would you pass on to anyone thinking of getting into car tuning?

If you cannot afford to do it properly, save up, and then do it! Helped a few friends in my time with things that have gone wrong becuase they bodged it, not just on cars either! Push bikes and motor bikes to name a few.

It's easy to say do it right but, thinking back MANY years, I can recall doing lots of things that didn't work, some even made the car slower! However, I learnt as much from getting it wrong as I did from getting it right.

But doing something, especially experimenting, is the way to learn, although mistakes can be a lot more expensive these days.

Just because the perceived wisdom dictates the 'right' way to do something, it doesn't mean you have to follow. Sometimes the 'right' way is the lazy 'that's how it has always been done' way.

Number one rule in my book is don't do anything that makes your car less safe. If you do then you are a complete idiot and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car!

The most common moronic mod that reduces your car's safety, IMO, is narrow tyres on wide rims. Keep your rim width within the tyre manufacturer's recommended range, preferably their stated optimum width.

Listen to good advice from the wise and make your money work all the better for the information given.

Research as much as possible then check wallet and if you think you have enough money add 50% more for things that you haven't allowed for that always seem to crop up.
If you can't afford to do the job properly don't start.

Trust me been there done that.

GET ANY QUOTES IN WRITING WITH AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE as in my experience mechanical workshops simply do not understand the meaning of the word.

QUOTE = fixed price that can not and should not vary without you being advised of additional costs and accepting them PRIOR to the works being carried out.It is simply not good enough to accept a "QUOTE" and arrive to collect your car to be hit with extras

ESTIMATE = a supposedly educated guess based on past experience and can vary and if you hand over your car to have the estimated work carried out INSIST that they contact you for approval if the estimated price is going to increase.

Last edited:
The most common moronic mod that reduces your car's safety, IMO, is narrow tyres on wide rims. Keep your rim width within the tyre manufacturer's recommended range, preferably their stated optimum width.

What, like stretched tyres? Like what the 'Dubs' run on? :blink:

What, like stretched tyres? Like what the 'Dubs' run on? :blink:

This seems to be the latest fad and IMHO dangerous if pressures are not monitored as i think loss of pressure would lead to tyres rolling off the rim under heavy cornering loads.

Wonder if insurance companies would reject claims in the event of an accident due to tyres fitted to wider wheels than specified in the tyre makers recommended fitment guide even if they were not directly the cause of the crash but that they made the car unroadworthy as having a roadworthy car if one of the insurance fine print conditions ???

That stretch fit thing is lethal in my opinion. It also looks silly in my opinion. I kind of like the idea of my car going in a straight line when I don't steer ( I mean arrow straight hands off on a flat road) and going wherever I point it when I do steer.

Hence HDi's obsession with tyres, brakes, suspension geometry. Payback is that my tyres last for ages, my car is quiet and fuel economic, effortless to drive and fun when you want to play occasionally.

Why people spend thousands on body kits, lowering kits etc and then fit cheap fifty quid a corner tyres is beyond me.

(stretch fit tyres is the antithesis, narrow tyres on wide rims . . . .. . that is moronic!!!) But we see 'em daily

Last edited:
I don't like the look either. Nor do I like the look of ridiculous amounts of camber applied to the wheels.

I cannot see how either can enhance performance.

Ive been modding cars for 50 years & my advice would be. Go & find a less expensive hobby maybe knitting or chess. You will end up loads richer & by the time you are 49 will have saved enough to buy a Veyron & not have to worry about mods.
Sound advice that.

I understand that this advise is for those up to 49 years old, whats your advise with the likes of myself having 58 or more?

Im 68 so like me you are more or less doomed to this addiction to modified cars. Im just starting on a new project to build a 1000bhp YB Cosworth the last one had a piddly 838bhp. Its an addiction i tell you an addiction.

Im 68 so like me you are more or less doomed to this addiction to modified cars. Im just starting on a new project to build a 1000bhp YB Cosworth the last one had a piddly 838bhp. Its an addiction i tell you an addiction.

Only a 1000? Have to spoken to Geoff recently? :)