Advantages of increase engine stroke apart from ...?

Oversquare (short stroke) or Undersquare (long stroke)

• Oversquare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undersquare

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lsvag

Wrench Pro
Car
Toyota Starlet 1.3
.. increasing the torque all over the revs, by increasing displacement (increasing bore does that too though) ??

are there any other advantages ?? it also lowers the safe max rpm, which is a disadvantage...

are there any advantages over increasing the bore size instead ??

i've read through the "stroke ratio" wikipedia page and it favors increasing bore size.

is it true that you can have lower idle rpm with a larger stroke rather than larger bore ?

The slowest idle speed will be a very long stroke single cylinder engine .

The slowest I have ever seen on a road veicle was an ex army sidevalve BSA 650cc M21 single cylinder motorcycle I used to have

When it was really cold that ticked over so slowly that you could count them.
It used to be the bikes party piece

Lowest we ever counted was 37 ( 74rpm) right after I fitted a brand new engine

lol, that's bad man...lol

Increasing capacity by stroking is good when forced induction comes into play where overboring can sometimes be less than desireable.

While drawing the piston further down takes in more air and fuel, thus more torque, the stroke also acts as a lever arm. For example, an engine with a 2inch stroke will effectively have half the torque of a 4inch stroke engine if the combustion pressures are identical. But things get complicated because of changes in displacement and compression ratios, not to mention that smaller strokes can rev.