Adding acetone to fuel.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Hot tip - but I want more infor: Adding a small amount of acetone to fuel increases the octane rating and gives a cleaner burn (HOW?). Many people are reporting better economy and more power using this. As acetone is commonly used to remove nail varnish it should be readily available.

Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know how much to use? Acetone dissolves plastic so is there any part of the tank/engine that could be affected by it?

I've been reading up a bit more and quite a few people have not noticed a benefit so I don't think I'll bother - I will just chalk it up to another urban legend.

:blink:IMHO....before you try adding acetone to your fuel tank..... just get any rubber 'o' ring or seal from any part of your fuel system ( a spare of course) and expose it to acetone for a few mins, you'll see the results prove that this is a very very bad idea!!!

Acetone is a powerful solvent but the dilutions were talking about using 1:600 by volume will not cause undue damage. I'm not sure that you'll see much benefit either. Octane boosting additives that fuel companies add to road petrol (diesel is totally different) use a complex additive package to achieve the desired result.

i just started a new thread about this and then found this. cheers for the info, iv been wandering about this for a while