adding a turbo

rems

Car
subaru legacy
hi all

im hoping that some of you maybe able to enlighten my and broaden my knowledge

im planning on adding a turbo to a non turbo engine (subaru EJ20) and was woundering if i would need an ECU and wiring loom to run the turbo?

cheers

in short, yes. but theres more to it than that.
you will also need to lower the compression ratio of the engine to deal with boost. bigger injectors probably needed to, and probably a good idea to change the gearbox too, as your standard box's ratios wont be as effective as a turbo models box. probably more stuff too, but thats about all i can think of for now presuming you have the manifolds, intercooler etc all sorted.

It can be very expensive to add a turbo properly. Other options include running a much lower boost and using water injection to curb detonation issues or fitting a supercharger.

Superchargers seem to be a lot easier to add as they don't need all of the extra plumbing. Just drop your aircon compressor, replace with the supercharger and get the car remapped. You'll still need to run a lowish boost setting or will need to lower the engine compression ratio.

Claymore has added a supercharger to his car so have a look for his threads for some more info on that.

in short, yes. but theres more to it than that.
you will also need to lower the compression ratio of the engine to deal with boost. bigger injectors probably needed to, and probably a good idea to change the gearbox too, as your standard box's ratios wont be as effective as a turbo models box. probably more stuff too, but thats about all i can think of for now presuming you have the manifolds, intercooler etc all sorted.

Just to add you'll need to sort out the water and oil feeds/returns. You may need a new pump and FPR along with the injectors to deal with any extra fuelling. Mapping is the crucial part if you want to keep your bottom end in one piece. Gearbox isn't essential or even that important, just leave it at first and see how you get on.

Expect to spend at least £2k even if you go the cheap route and use a decomp plate and do the work yourself. Assuming you buy most things new.

Other options include running a much lower boost and using water injection to curb detonation issues

I wouldn't do this. It's asking for trouble relying on water injection to stop det because firstly if it fails you're up sh*t creek and secondly it'll become a PITA to keep refilling the water if it's a daily driver.

Bottom line is....sell up and buy a turbo car?

I find it amusing the way people refer to 'adding' a turbo as if it's as easy as adding a set of driving lamps or a roof rack.

Unless you're dedicated to the task (well done if you are, BTW) it's got to be easier to PX the car for one with the level of performance you want. Or perhaps a complete engine swap with a model from the range that is turbocharged from the factory.

But HDI - in Simulators like Gran Turismo you just choose "add turbo" and it's all done for you. It doesn't make you rebuild the engine and get it remapped! :lol:

If only real life was as easy as it is in the virtual world.

I agree with HDi. Its definatly more cost effective to get a car with high power to begin with. But if you were to keep the costs down with not having to uprate everything like the internals of your engine, a custom made manifold and a low pressure turbo would work but you wont see the gains you would with a full turbo set-up as it would need to be set to a very low setting. So getting a turbo'd car will save you literally thousands of £££'s giving you the option of using that money to take the already turbo'd car to the next level ;)

I very nearly got my hands on a Scooby Sport whilst I owned by STi, and I asked Graham at my local Scooby Tuning shop whats involved and the 4x4 system of the none turbos can't take the power very well and you'll need to uprate the brakes, suspension, fuel system to take the extra, gearbox..... the list goes on. Try and remeber that you can pick up a scooby turbo for about £1300+ or about £2500 for a WRX or STi.

Last edited:
But HDI - in Simulators like Gran Turismo you just choose "add turbo" and it's all done for you. It doesn't make you rebuild the engine and get it remapped! :lol:

If only real life was as easy as it is in the virtual world.

I know, but if you look at the price of a Stage 4 Turbo in GT it is commensurate with the amount of work we all know is really involved. On GT1 (long time ago) I had an FTO with about 1200bhp. And it was totally and utterly undriveable. By me, anyway

I agree with HDI, you want a turbo car, go and buy one. After all it already has the correct brakes, suspension, clutch [don't forget to upgrade that too by the way], drivetrain, blah blah blah.
If you are still insistent and good luck if you are, most of the points have already been raised below but don't forget that you will also need to address the VERY important factors i have mentioned in the second sentence here or you are heading for doom and gloom and danger. Don't forget to inform your insurance company too or at least get a good quote before you consider such a project.
I don't want to be sounding like a killjoy but you really do need to plan things like this with a lot of precision and a good bank balance.
I converted an N/A GTO engine internals with slight modifications, used the stock N/A heads/cams etc. We fitted it with a single turbo, along with all the required fuelling and boost control systems needed and used it for a couple of years, it was an awesome bit of kit and sounded monsterous. Of course we upgraded the brakes/suspension etc. We even took it across Europe and to the Nurburgring but not on the track as it hadn't even been run in by the time we got there.
The bottom line is, if you're going to do it, do it properly, don't read a half baked theory and get big ideas, do lots of proper research and get all the info required before jumping in with both feet.
Or of course, just wait a while and buy a quicker car, it's cheaper in the end. ;)

Definitely cheaper to insure as well. You'll get a far better price to insure a 300bhp stock car than a 200bhp one that's beeen modified up to the teeth to achieve 300bhp.

I agree with HDI, you want a turbo car, go and buy one. After all it already has the correct brakes, suspension, clutch [don't forget to upgrade that too by the way], drivetrain, blah blah blah.
If you are still insistent and good luck if you are, most of the points have already been raised below but don't forget that you will also need to address the VERY important factors i have mentioned in the second sentence here or you are heading for doom and gloom and danger. Don't forget to inform your insurance company too or at least get a good quote before you consider such a project.
I don't want to be sounding like a killjoy but you really do need to plan things like this with a lot of precision and a good bank balance.
I converted an N/A GTO engine internals with slight modifications, used the stock N/A heads/cams etc. We fitted it with a single turbo, along with all the required fuelling and boost control systems needed and used it for a couple of years, it was an awesome bit of kit and sounded monsterous. Of course we upgraded the brakes/suspension etc. We even took it across Europe and to the Nurburgring but not on the track as it hadn't even been run in by the time we got there.
The bottom line is, if you're going to do it, do it properly, don't read a half baked theory and get big ideas, do lots of proper research and get all the info required before jumping in with both feet.
Or of course, just wait a while and buy a quicker car, it's cheaper in the end. ;)

i was only asking for research to see what people say and the advice thats they give and to get bette knowledge to see if its possible ie seeing the site that makes out its simple and then obviously getting further knowledge from other bringing me to the conclusion that the site thats says its a piece of piss is chaating out of its arse lol so not going to bother lol

cheers peeps much appriciated ;)

another quick question is it possible to fit throttle bodies/ twin 40 weber carbs to and EJ20 lump relatively easily?

as i have 2 twin 40's laying around at home and wondered if it would be possible to mount them to the flat four engine (obviously need to get another to for the other side lol) but my main concern would be setting up the throttle linkage

i was only asking for research to see what people say and the advice thats they give and to get bette knowledge to see if its possible ie seeing the site that makes out its simple and then obviously getting further knowledge from other bringing me to the conclusion that the site thats says its a piece of piss is chaating out of its arse lol so not going to bother lol

cheers peeps much appriciated ;)

another quick question is it possible to fit throttle bodies/ twin 40 weber carbs to and EJ20 lump relatively easily?

as i have 2 twin 40's laying around at home and wondered if it would be possible to mount them to the flat four engine (obviously need to get another to for the other side lol) but my main concern would be setting up the throttle linkage
#

That's a big space to bridge with mechanical linkages. Does the car have a drive by wire throttle? If so it might be easier to use a pair of stepper motors to drive the throttle plates.