A3 1.8 performance

lee172

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi a3 1.8
Hi, im new to this forum i have a 97 1.8 a3 and was wondering what would be the best way for me to go in terms of performance? and would it even be worth doing anything to it at all as its done 120 thousands miles. Although it has been serviced reguarly and was owned by a good mechanic before i had it. thanks, Lee

Ah right, didn't know it had done that much mileage. Would you not consider getting a new car instead?

If you really want to improve that car you can look at the sports exhaust as previously suggested, a four-branch manifold, fast road cams, cold air induction and improved air filters. Atlernatively you can go for an engine swap.

They are pretty solid engines. If the oil has been changed and the long life oil used it should still have quite a bit of life left in it. However for the money spend doing it up you will get double the power from a 1.8 Turbo block so an engine swap would be good. The big plus is the cc remains the same so it shouldn't affect the DVLA V5.

yeah 1.8t would be best bet as it would just more or less be engine gearbox ecu out new engine and ecu (think the gearbox should be fine new clutch maybe) back in
new dash clocks fitted and reprogrammed along with the ECU to accrpt the new immbiliser codes

Hey and welcome, cant remember if i welcomed you in your other thread

quite a few common ones i think. a few sensors are showing up on the computer like the temperature sensor (has trouble starting when its hot) Other than the sensor issues i have got a leak through the heater matrix so i have to keep topping up the water, and things like bushes etc. None of them are overly serious its just they all add up so i will probably be looking to buy a new a3 in the next couple of months, but a 1.8t this time :)

Thats the easiest way to do an engine swap! Just buy a new car. You certainly won't be dissapointed. The 1.9TDi quattro is also worth a look but if you want tuning potential go for a 1.8T.

i know im looking at differnet bits of tuning at the moment, the only thing i dont quite understand is the difference between a dump valve and a wastegate, my mate seems to think that a wastegate is better for performance but i cant see how, and im not too sure if a wastegate has the same sound as a dump valve which is what im after

The turbo has 2 sides. One is driven by the exhaust and the wastegate controls the flow of exhaust gases through the turbo - otherwise you would have a dangerous over boost condition.

The other side compressed fresh intake air and the dump valve releases this when it is not needed (when you lift off the throttle.)

Yes, all turbos have a wastegate and diverter as standard. A remap will generally optimise these and performance alternatives provide greater reliablity and smoothness in operation.

Have a look in our tuning section on the main site, there are quite a few articles dealing with turbos, remaps and Blow off valves.