528i engine oil query

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Just about to take delivery of an E39 528i. I have 5-6 litres of AMSOIL DEO 5w/40 fully synthetic here. It has an API SM rating; unusually for a diesel specific oil.

Can I use it in the new car or should I go and source a BMW LL01/LL04 compatible oil?

Thanks in advance,

P.

I would sell that on Ebay and get a BMW LL01 or 04 spec oil

I thought this might be the way to proceed. Thankyou for clarifying this for me.

I only need a litre for topping up until next service - which of your upgrade LL04 compliant oils should I be ordering?

Because the oils all meet the LL04 spec, which is a pretty high standard, they are all very good. The Castrol ones are the most popular, closely followed by Fuchs and Mobil.

OK, so do I go for 0w/30, 5w/30, 0w/40 or 5w/40?

I live in the UK so I suppose it doesn't really matter with no climate extremes to deal with.

having bought a 0w/40 1l top up I have had cause to use precisely none in 3000 miles. Which is good. It's still even clean mid brown in colour, not like diesels where it's black after about ten minutes.

I think I'll get it changed before the service lights all go out - last service was only about 3500 miles ago by an independent facility, but the invoice does not tell me exactly what oil was used. Therefore I'll assume it isn't the LL01/04 compliant stuff.

Castrol Edge seems a good option but your company seems to give a good feel to Motul's products. Which would you prefer me to buy, basically?

Either or really. They are both very good, they need to be with the BMW specs. I prefer Motul as they are better value, but I wouldn't say one oil is better than the other.

Either or really. They are both very good, they need to be with the BMW specs. I prefer Motul as they are better value, but I wouldn't say one oil is better than the other.

Thanks again! Right then - which one are you going to make a better margin on? I've got to give you back something in return for free and high quality advice.

Thanks for the offer, but I really have no idea. I purposely don't check buying prices as then I may get biased to an oil, I leave that to the marketing guys. I get on better with the Motul supplier, so use that to decide if you want

I actually have a 1 litre Castrol Edge 0w40 here so might buy a 4L + 2x1L to make up my required 6.5 litres for the engine.

The 0w40 meets LL04 and API SM/CF. Would this be OK for my car (it's the M52 double Vanos engine)

It's not urgent but I did notice that the last service (about 4000 miles ago) was done using Total 15w40 semi-synthetic so I'd like that out and replaced with the proper stuff before the cold weather sets in.

Last edited: