50 50 weight distribution

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
What cars have 50 50 weight distribution? Of course BMW and Porsche have allways been known for this but what other ones are there?

The MX-5 does and I'm pretty sure the DB9 does too. Although I've always been taught that 50/50 isn't the best weight distribution and will have understeer initially when entering a corner. Proper race cars usually have a rearward biased weight distribution to combat this. Something like 40/60.

Last edited:
One of the Earlier Alfas - the 75 I think had a rear mounted gearbox and aluminium engine block.

The MX-5 does and I'm pretty sure the DB9 does too. Although I've always been taught that 50/50 isn't the best weight distribution and will have understeer initially when entering a corner. Proper race cars usually have a rearward biased weight distribution to combat this. Something like 40/60.[/QUOTE

Agree, but very difficult to achieve on a front engined car :-(

The mid engined MR2's must be pretty close to a 50/50 setup.

They ( MR2s) are. The Lotus Esprit as well was almost perfectly 50/50 front/rear.

BMW has always hammered on about this weight distribution thing to justify the loyalty to RWD arrangements. I'm not sure that it's quite as close to 'ideal' as they say. Most still drive with initial response to over zealous cornering resulting in understeer.

Push harder and harder and you will eventually discover a change in personality.