20v turbo tuning

rossk187

Car
A3 1.8 20V TURBO
hello evey1.
i was just wondering if anybody could help me. i have a a3 20vturbo and want to starts doing some tunning, so i have brought a manual boost control. will i need to get a fuel pressure regulator aswell? and what other cheap things can i do to get a bit more grunt out of her? cheers

what engine have you got ? the manual boost controller wont work on most of the engines unless you do away with the N75 valve.

the FPR is good enough for up to around 220bhp

a remap will cost you around £350 and take you from 150 to around 190 on the K03 equipped turbo engines and 210 on the K03s ones (post and pre 2000. although alot were retrofitted back on to the older ones)

if its not already changed get rid of the OEM diverter valve and replace it with a forge 007p as the rubber splits easily

hi mate,
im not to sure what engine i have got. how do i find out? it a 2000 a3. i only wanted to do a few small things just to make it a bit quicker a remap was going a bit further than i wanted.

take off the engine cover and theres a little plaque beside the timing belt cover with the engine code on it.
2000 will be too new for the MBC to work as it has a MAP sensor before the throttle what will happen is the N75 valve will just open the diverter valve and get rid of the extra boost or is boost suddenly then the car will go into limp mode as it will exceed the parameters set in the map
ie
mines boosts to 1740mbar limit is 1800 over this it will go into limp mode so ive got something like 1psi to play with

if it somehow does work it could cause the engine to run lean

the car is very hard to get any more grunt out of easily thats why remaps are generally the way to go to begine with.
other places to look are the downpipe and sports cat as the standard is restrictive but your looking at around £300-500 for one off the shelf.
induction kits add near enough sod all apart from a couple of bhp which can be gained through a panel filter and larger intake.
turbo intake pipe - again the OEM one on the earlier models was restrictive. these are around £100

There should be a 3 letter engine code stamped on the left hand side of the head on a tag under the engine cover.
AJQ/APP/ARY/AUQ is the 180bhp engines and AGU/ARZ/ARX/AUM is the 150bhp engines.
A manual boost controller isn't very good, you lose power but gain a small amount of low down torque and the boost is very unstable. There's not much you can really do to the engine, your best bet is a remap and it absolutely transforms your car, its highly recommended.

98_372_wink-smiley-02_thumb_l.gif

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back