1989 TVR S2 2.9i

gorrington

Car
TVR S2 1989
Picking up my new car tomorrow.Going to be looking for ideas on getting a few more horses outta that engine also improve the handling,she's already fitted with adjustable rear shocks.
Any TVR boys on here ?
Cheers.

I've only driven one TVR, not really my type of car tbh but they are undoubtedly fun in the right situation.

If we're right about the Cologne V6 then there is a 24-valve 4 cam Cosworth unit based upon it. Ford used it to great effect in the last of the Scorpios. As is so often the case, not too much, but sadly a little too late - the competition had moved on by this time.

Not massively powerful at circa 200-210 ish bhp but I'll place a couple of quid on there being plenty of tuning options available.

It did, however, deliver its power in a sublime yet urgent way.

How far are you planning to go? Or not, even? Keeping your car as original as possible is sometimes the appeal of such models as the S2.

I had one of the Cosworth Granadas,If I remember rightly it was a 1993.One of the last before they changed the shape.I loved that car,but it just rotted away.Wonder If I could just change the head to the 24v ??

I had one of the Cosworth Granadas,If I remember rightly it was a 1993.One of the last before they changed the shape.I loved that car,but it just rotted away.Wonder If I could just change the head to the 24v ??

Probably not - Cosworth, radically, changed a pushrod engine into a 4x OHC engine so I suspect the whole lot needs to be swapped out (ie. whole engine) and most auxilliary components as well.

I'll put the cat amongst the avian population here - if you're up for a major mod then why not consider derv?

A modern 4 cylinder common rail diesel (2.0 - 2.2 ish litres) engine in a lightweight such as the S2 would be something else. The work involved in doing so would be substantial, however. You could fit a slightly longer legged final drive at the rear to take account of the less revvy nature of a diesel engine.

200bhp worth of 4 cylinder diesel engine, with the obligatory 300+lbft torque would make one unique car with genuinely savage midrange get up and go.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back