1.6.sportrak

steadman

Car
diahatsu sportrak
hi all just signed up to this cool site im in much help on info about putting a turbo on a non turbo engine thaks all

Hello and welcome to Torque Cars.

WRT turbocharging an engine that's naturally aspirated it can be quite involved. Especially if there was never a turbocharged version of that engine originally as a lot of components need to be changed or added.

hello there thannks i have been trying 2 collect as much infomation as possible and so far its nt looking like its going to be as simple as i first thort there appears to be alot more to it than i thort have you got any yousfull knowlage that could help ?

i naw no there is alot more to it than i first thort im going to collect as much info as i can and go ahead with it eny way can u help with any usefull tips thanks

From another post I have written:

EMS (DTA, Omex, Megasquirt etc)
Lower the compression of your engine
Sort oil-take off from the block and return to the sump
Sort water feed to and from the turbo (unless it's just oil-cooled)
Forged pistons
Need to find out how strong the conrods are
Small (ish) turbo for best results (GT25R would be my choice)
New exhaust manifold and downpipe
Boost controller of some sort
Intercooler and boost hoses, injection loom modifications
Uprated injectors and fuel-pump

Take as a basic guide, as it's all in the details ;)

From another post I have written:

EMS (DTA, Omex, Megasquirt etc)
Lower the compression of your engine
Sort oil-take off from the block and return to the sump
Sort water feed to and from the turbo (unless it's just oil-cooled)
Forged pistons
Need to find out how strong the conrods are
Small (ish) turbo for best results (GT25R would be my choice)
New exhaust manifold and downpipe
Boost controller of some sort
Intercooler and boost hoses, injection loom modifications
Uprated injectors and fuel-pump

Take as a basic guide, as it's all in the details ;)

For the Turbo I'd opt for a Hybrid gt28. Spools up as fast as a 25 but can handle more boost.;)

Sorry that's just copied and pasted straight from another post without any changes! GT25R is hybrid anyway, hence the R for roller-bearing. It depends on what variation of the GT28 you're talking about. Some have big housings and are good for 400bhp but very laggy, whilst others like the one I have are less laggy but only good for around 320bhp. But for the most part you are right.

I'd say go for either a 2560R or a 2860RS (also known as the disco potato amongst a lot of the european tuners) for a 1.6 with management. Although you would get a very very good response from something like a 2554R, as long as you were settling for around 250bhp.

Hello and welcome to TorqueCars. Sorry i'm a bit late to the party. You would find a supercharger much easier to add. What about superchargers then?

thanks mate you are a big help just need a few pointers on how to get the rite turbo pressure as to much will blow the engine

Find out what the current engines compression ratio is and I'll see if I can guide you further on this.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back