Yaris -Turbo or Supercharger?

Yamahawk

Car
Yaris 1.5L DOHC
I read an article about the toyota yaris on this website Called "Yaris Tuning" . Theres a paragraph that says TorqueCars recommends a Supercharger over a turbo charger and i did a little research online to see why and i couldnt really come up with any solid reason. Im still new to tuning so maybe theres something im over looking?

If you had to pick one, then a supercharger would be the easyer to fit, like pgarner said, but in all fairness, the power increase would not be too great. If I was you, I'd look at upgrading the basic stuff. If you have the disposable cash to do so, then look at the supercharger, but It may cause your engine to overheat. In that case, you would have to sort out the cooling or add an intercooler, and if you had to do that, then it would have been more worth while installing a turbo. Its a catch 22 if you ask me. After the turbo, its a remap, then exhaust (straight through with dcat) and maby change of cams. Then you would be looking at the best end of 150-165bhp. But saying that, I don't know what sort of gear box are in the yaris, and wether the clutch can take it. Im sure it could.

Guy's disagree with me if im wrong.

I just don't know if it would be worth it. I mean, if your planning on selling in the next 2-3 years then you would get nothing back on what you have done to it.

I'm gonna own the car for awhile. I was just wondering which one I should start to set up for. I think I'd be happy with 150-160 bhp since I'm not gonna go out and drag race ppl I just want more power under my hood.

Fit a bigger engine - There is bound to be one that fits easily

Yes I know this is an old post BUT FWIW there may be someone out there that still needs info.
There is a Yaris that has a 4AGE 20 valve and drive train in a track car and the driver said that it was not a straight swap but not too difficult to do .

SInce you have ressurected the thread...............................

The 4age is a stunning engine but (and why )

The engine your talking about was used in the formula atlantic race cars. They aren't designed for road use as they have to be driven hard to avoid excessive engine wear, They require a rebuild after almost every race and this would be sooner if used on the road.
I'm almost certain they can only be run on race gas so would be pointless in a road car

And if you could find one they would cost more than the Yaris did new.

SInce you have ressurected the thread...............................

The 4age is a stunning engine but (and why )

The engine your talking about was used in the formula atlantic race cars. They aren't designed for road use as they have to be driven hard to avoid excessive engine wear, They require a rebuild after almost every race and this would be sooner if used on the road.
I'm almost certain they can only be run on race gas so would be pointless in a road car

And if you could find one they would cost more than the Yaris did new.
There are heaps of silver and black top 4age 20 valves imported from Japan and they do not have to be rebuilt regularly as they last as long as the 16 v 4AGE
http://www.toysport.com/technical information/4ag_tech_notes.htm
They were factory fitted in 1991 Carollas

Last edited:
Hi iam new here, I have a vitz rs turbo . This is a limited edition by toyota japan fitted with a trd turbos. It suppose to have a 150hp . What mode can I put to increase hp beyond 200. This car will be used for drag racing and autocross. This will be dedicated race car.

A larger turbo will help. You'll need a dedicated ECU so you can get the mapping right. The standard turbo fitted should be good for around 180bhp with the right map and boost control.

Hi waynne , I was thinking of getting a greedy ultimate but what would you recommend and the kind of turbo as an upgrade?. Was also thinking of getting a water injection, would that help. We have a racing map from japan for a 4eft turbo, can I use that as a remap. But the 4eft does not have a vvti. What do you think?

Ideally a map should be specific to your car and your mods and setup on a rolling road. I've seen a lot of people use the Apexi power FC on the Toyota's.

Water injection is a bit extreme and risky IMO, just use high octane fuel and get the mapping right.

Turbos are down to your application, where do you need the power band the most? For competition you usually will go for a big laggy turbo as the engine is running in higher RPM ranges most of the time. One option might be to hybrid the internals of the standard turbo.

IF your motor is a 1600 I would think that a Disco Potato would be the biggest BUT selecting turbos is difficult as larger turbos are laggy with a strong top end and small turbos are very responsive but have less top end performance.
Would not recommend water injection as to me it is a band aid solution with potential for disaster should there be leaks.
Would suggest a FMIC with say a PWR or Garrett core not a cheap China copy.

I agree with Waynes comments as well.

Last edited:
i would be using it for dragracing and autocross. the engine is a 1nzfe 1500 vvti. whats a disco potato, sounds like thats good for french fries.lol