wiring four 4ohm components to 2 channel 2 ohm amp

Car
2003 Elantra GLS
Hi guys! I got another project going and I hit a snag....

I have four 4ohm crossover speaker/tweeter components for my doors that I want to install. But I only have a 2 channel 2 ohm stable amp. Right now the speakers that are in there already are parallel-wired to decrease the ohms. Can the same be done with the crossover components? or does it NEED to be one channel per component at 4 ohms?

What head unit do you have?
Your head unit should be more than capable of running some components.
You really would only need to amp them if you going for spl levels of sound.
I use to run 2000watts of RMS bass in the boot of my Primera and my head unit ran the components fine. All was clear and matched nicely to the bass.

it's a jvc head unit hooked up to an eq, then to the amps; but my question was about the SPEAKER crossover for the doors. the 5½" speakers and tweeter wire up to the SPEAKER crossover component which gets the signal from the amp. The component sets are 4 ohm stabe 100w RMS , but the amp is 300 x 2. max bridged for this amp is 1900+ (old-school Power Acoustik LT). I did some reading on this amp just now and found that it can work at both 4 ohm and 2 ohm (guess it was UP-TO 2 ohms, then. nice.).
Heard last night from my brother who gave me the equipment and he told me that I could wire the left rear & front door components to one channel, and wire the right rear & front ones to the other channel in series. I'll try it and see.

Also have a whine coming from the speakers. turn the gain on the eq down and it goes away, but you have to turn it down to less than a quarter-of-the-way up from 0. Is that the RCAs or the ground? And do I make a fresh ground connection instead of the factory ground, and if so, where?

Last edited:
what's the likelyhood of it being the head unit? rearranged the ground on the amps twice and made sure the connectors and surfaces were clean and that didn't help. And I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the eq's ground either, right?

under the rear seat..... underneath seat belt bolts one on each side.

will see about grounding them all to one spot (where's a good spot?) and changing the RCAs. I'm also going to rewire the eq and head unit to new spots other than the factory one.

tear-down started this pm.... adding 4 speakers, 4 tweeters, and another amp

Plan:
4 crossover component speaker systems 150 rms wired in series to the PA 2ohm-stable, 2 channel amp.

4 infinity reference speakers (two 6"s and two 6x9's) 100 w rms series wired to pioneer 760w gm-3500t.

modify door panels to fit extra speakers.

rewire ground wires to one central location.

new ground for head unit and eq on firewall or other spot.

check eq 12v/ground/remote wires & connector.

Im no ice guru but......
If you want to confirm the earth connection hard wire it to the battery the same as would be done when using a seperate circuit for a serious fuel pump set up.

Im no ice guru but......
If you want to confirm the earth connection hard wire it to the battery the same as would be done when using a seperate circuit for a serious fuel pump set up.

With amps the grounding point should be as close to the amp as possible;) I usually use the rear seat belt bolts

But surely the earth is only the earth because the appropriate battery terminal is connected to it ?

The best "earth" connection is then the battery itself .

Sorry pal. Not true at all.
The cars battery earth is the worst place you can earth an amp to.
As Herb has mentioned you want the earth for the amp no more than 6 inches away.
Earthing it to the battery will end up with whining when the revs climb as you drive.

But surely the earth is only the earth because the appropriate battery terminal is connected to it ?

The best "earth" connection is then the battery itself .

........ you want the earth for the amp no more than 6 inches away.

Is that 6" of GROUND WIRE or 6" inches in DISTANCE?

Earthing it to the battery will end up with whining when the revs climb as you drive.

I guess that's why most installers say to ground HUs in a new spot... I'll do the same with the EQ. One thing though about the whine I hear: the pitch of it doesn't go up or down with the engine revs. It's one consistent pitch that goes down when I turn the gain down on the eq (and the amp too, I think).

Last edited:
6 inch of ground wire ideally yes. And an earthing point around the same is ideal.
Also if your RCA leads are of poor quality or damaged in any way they will pic up a whine as well.

It also helps to bond the battery -ve terminal solidly to the bodywork. You can use multiple bonds. All current cars use circa 12vDC electrical systems.

I also helps to ensure that the -ve side of the stator windings of the alternator are bonded to 0vDC for the avoidance of interference.

Sorry to resurrect this but I thought I'd let you know that the problem was fixed by regrounding all the amps to one spot solidly to the chassis and the head unit/radio was changed. No more whine and better sound quality.