Why is DAB so hard to get in cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With digital radio switchover planned in 2015 why is it still so hard to get DAB radios fitted to cars?

I'm after an Audi fit double din for my A3 with DAB radio compatibility. There are none around. There are only a couple of aftermarket double din DAB radios but these will still need a dashboard adapter to fit my car.

Do you use DAB much? Will they actually switch off the analogue signal in 2015 because I can't see people being ready for it.

Manufacturers dragging their heals again until the last possible minute know doubt. There are kits available which two of my friends have bought and had fitted by Halfords which overcomes this problem. It is merely a small display unit whuich you can pretty much install anywhere on the dashboard. It connects into the auxiliary of most current car audio systems or it also has the facility with a I believe (an additional kit) to cut into the aerial system then you tune the radio into a free frequency linked to the DAB unit. Actually it sounds very good, and the display unit is no bigger than my Parrot hands free kit.

Just like the DTV switchover. It's too little too late.

Terrestrial DTV has been around since 1994 and it's taken nearly two decades to complete the task.

We're at the point now where traditional broadcasting is being replaced by superfast broadband, often delivered via multimode fibre right the way to the doorstep in many cases. Content on demand will replace terrestrial DTV and satellite DTV. Why else do you think Sky is bundling broadband with everything?

Yes, once the analogue FM service is fully decommissioned then the DAB signal level can be ramped up to full. If this was done presently there would be too much crosstalk with traditional FM radio, which would no doubt upset quite a few of us.

This is the point at which mobile DAB will become viable.

Wayne cant you get a connects2 lead to interface a dab unit with your existing head unit and steering controls? You can with vauxhalls for instance. The unit just goes behind the facia. Vx themselves even offer this as an upgrade.