Why does my car thud when the engine is switched off ? short video included

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2

What is the problem ?

The mechanic who messed about with it is the problem and he caused the problem ( I no longer see him anymore ), he poked a bar through driver side wheel area trying to find a different problem at the time with suspension. ever since then from the exact/second moment whenever I turn off the engine it thuds. worse the longer has been running.
it was intermittent, the thud would come and go sometimes the thud would go away for weeks then come back and so on, now it is constantly there.

Problems
very unpleasant thud every time the engine is switched off, it has damaged parts due to the constant thud, the alternator had be replaced at it's pulley/bearing burnt out after months of rattling from being loosened. now something else has been damaged as another rattling noise can be heard when turning steering wheel from under bonnet.

has it been to a garage ?
Yes, the garage have had a look at it, checked the mounts e.t.c, said all looked fine and they can't see what is causing it.

Note : the rattle is coming from exhaust, put a jack under exhaust and the rattle goes away. the thud is not to do with the exhaust rattling.

Note : any advice to what the problem with it may be are very much appreciated. thanks

Clarification needed

1 was the car making the noise BEFORE you took it to him if so then it's not his fault he just couldn't locate what caused the thud. I say that in the interest of fairness.

2 IMO any mechanical problem usually gets worse the more it is left unfixed so your mechanic may be blameless.

3 IF there seems to be no external source of the noise I am thinking that it may be the dual mass flywheel IF the car has one.

Last edited:
Clarification needed

1 was the car making the noise BEFORE you took it to him if so then it's not his fault he just couldn't locate what caused the thud. I say that in the interest of fairness.

2 IMO any mechanical problem usually gets worse the more it is left unfixed so your mechanic may be blameless.

3 IF there seems to be no external source of the noise I am thinking that it may be the dual mass flywheel IF the car has one.

hi, thanks so much for replying.

No, it happened the exact instant after he took out the bar from poking it through the driver wheel area. I can't remember if the engine was on or off when he put bar through. But I remember I turned car off to go into his garden with him and the problem with it started for the first time.

2. It hasn't got worse per say, other than it was intermittent come/go, now it thuds all the time ti is turned off.

3. Yes, the car has a dmf and the dmf and clutch was replaced 6 weeks before this issue, but this problem only started the exact instant he put the bar through, literally the exact second.

edit : he did reuse the flywheel bolts but if it was flywheel related why would it have not done this before putting bar through driver wheel area ? also there is no other problem suggesting flywheel other than switch off but it happened right at that instant he put the bar through

I am on the other side of the world to you so what was the problem / fault he thought might be the source of the noise that he was trying to find by "poking a bar thru the wheel" ???

I have tinkered with various cars over many years and sometimes one can find a fault first go and other times it can be a process of elimination and at times it can be a .V( why didn't think of that sooner moment.

When you track it down please post the answer.

I have listened to the video.

PS I would be checking ALL motor and transmission mounts as to me it sounds like the first place to check especially if they have oil on them or hi mileage.

Just my 2 cents worth:)

Last edited:
I am on the other side of the world to you so what was the problem / fault he thought might be the source of the noise that he was trying to find by "poking a bar thru the wheel" ???

I have tinkered with various cars over many years and sometimes one can find a fault first go and other times it can be a process of elimination and at times it can be a .V( why didn't think of that sooner moment.

When you track it down please post the answer.

I have listened to the video.

PS I would be checking ALL motor and transmission mounts as to me it sounds like the first place to check especially if they have oil on them or hi mileage.

Just my 2 cents worth:)

The othe problem was a clunking noise and only after he poked bar through driver wheel area did this issue begin for the very first time, liteally a few seconds after he poked the bar through this issue arose.

I saw a video on youtube with car of the exact same engine ( 1.9 cdti 120bhp) showing what looks to be the exact same problem with the thud on shut down. It was the anti shudder valve/throttle body on his car and after getting it reconditioned it turned off normal from then without any thudding.

Is it worth replacing the throttle body /anti shudder valve ? thanks

I have just listened to the video again and I think that it is related to the mounts that may have lost their stiffness and allow the motor to come in contact with some part of the body.
What and why was he poking the bar at in the first place as he may have moved something that was previously been just clearing the bodywork enough to cause it to come in contact with the bodywork.