Why do people drive so slowly in rain

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
As above why? and im not on about heavy rain just drizzle. was coming home tonight on a good road there was light rain in places, where this was some were slowing right down to 30mph.

does anyone on here slow that much for light rain ?

i know ill back off in the rain but not to that extend unless its like fog viability is down to under 100mtrs

Oh I have!
The merest hint of rain, fog/mist or a brief flurry of snow & people around here slow down too.
It's these same people who are down right dangerous on motorways during changes in weather.

Yet they hammer through this village 55+mph on a slidey greasy morning.

thats what was getting at me
im2520mad2520as2520hell.gif
!!!!!
looooooong straight 30mph couldnt pass with traffic coming the other way. round a long sweeping corner, where alot of people come off, they speed up to 40 and continue this through the town until a sharp corner, this corner does normally require stopping if something big is coming the other way, them proceed to do 30 again out through the town and until i passed them

They're thicker than that here. School bus stops in LH side, 8:15-8:20am ish. (for reference, there is no kerb or pavement on this side). With about 9 cars behind it.

On the RHS there's a couple of kids waiting on the pavement.

Surely it's bleeding obvious that the bus has stopped to allow the kids to cross the road and subsequently board the bus.

And what do the mindless following f***wits do?

Yes, overtake the stationary bloody school bus. How thick is that?

Any anyway, why not use the previous 4 miles of derestricted road (loads of vision and opportunities) to overtake the bus when said bus is barely doing 40mph at best???

One day I'm going to lay hands upon one or more of these morons.

There's alot to be said about the american school buses and their flashing amber lights and stop boards that pop out of the side.

As for the original question most people have no faith in their car or their abilities in the wet. They probably expect to slide off the road. Then again they may be tightwads and fit the cheapest ditchfinders going!

Indeed, how many of us on here look well ahead of what's going on? I know I do, but the wife just looks at what's infront of her and reacts to that. I drive watching as many cars ahead as I can see and adjust my speed accordingly. I hate following a driver that is on/off on the gas pedal and all you get are the brakes lights flashing constantly.

In Vietnam the rain tends to have the opposite effect, but mainly on mopeds/motorbikes. They try and go flat out to aovid (?) the rain it seems - also the roads are liable to flood severely, we dont get drizzle just full on downpours so the road can be flooed in minutes, sometimes up to a couple of feet deep. Very interest to watch people driving through it on mikes with their feet stuck up in the air to avoid getting wet.

If the windows get misted up inside it makes it hard to see out, also if people have poor quality wipers it puts them at a disadvantage.

The lesson is to properly clean the inside of the window, learn how to use the air conditioning to keep the windows clear and fit good wipers.

Even I slowed down to a crawl in the wet when I borrowed a car that suffered from all of the above. I just wish people would learn to maintain their cars properly.

How many times do we see idiots driving such cars with barely a letter box sized gap to see through! The lazy gits can't be bothered to wait for the screen to clear, let alone scrap all the ice off.

I see that loads Stamford, and then when they brake all the snow comes off the roof and buries the windscreen again forcing them to stop and get out holding everyone up again.

Yeah, not just slow down, but turn on their fog lights, front and back, aswell.

Every one up here insists on driving between 50 and 55 at all times anyway. I think they are trying to save fuel.

strange because i find in kent, people seem to drive faster when it rains, and i know it sounds silly but i have seen it many occassions, unless im the one doing 30mph lol