Which midrange tyre?

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Hi all

Need some new tyres for the Focus. 195/60/15 88V

I just go up and down the A45 to work, so I am looking for a tyre that is decent in the rain and doesn't cost the earth. The Focus is a well set-up chassis so doesn't need to rely on tyre grip to handle.

Don't want chinese budget specials cos I'd quite like to stay alive, nor do I want to spend 100 quid a corner on premium brands.

I don't do massive miles so I don't want rock-hard energy tyres that last 50k but have no grip

I've narrowed it down to 3 midrange.

Toyo Proxes CF2
Falken Zi Ex
Hankook Ventus Prime.

All between 60 and 70 quid a corner.

Anyone got any experience with these, or any other good suggestions in that price?

Cheers

Falkens Ziex 914 is reckoned to be very good indeed, though I have no personal experience.

Try http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk

Bear in mind that some cars respond differently to tyres than others when you are reading customer/driver opinions

Avon ZV5 is also well liked. Try mytyres, etyres, blackcircles etc.

Selectatyre, Railway Terrace, Rugby has Bridgestone ER300 at just over seventy quid !!!!

www.selectatyre.co.uk

Last edited:
Aye, that's true, what suits one car doesn't suit another.

I'm erring towards the Falkens, I can get them for 59 quid a corner which seems pretty good to me.

I've currently got the Avon zv5's on the rover and for£55 a corner fitted I can't complain! They haven't lost grip once in the rain or on a dry surface. I wanted Michelin primacy's but the rover is a cruising car I don't really throw it round the corners and at £70 a corner I couldn't really justify the extra £60

Primacy 3 and Primacy HP isn't a true sports tyre but they do hang on amazingly well. The 3 wears very quickly though.

I'm staggered too with the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme I am using for the winter. They are no louder than Primacy HP (I have the BMW specific ones with the * marking), appear to handle equally as well and wear rate is glacial.

There are loads of really impressive midrange tyres now, the only reason I stick with Michelin for summer is that I've had some odd wear patterns with Uniroyals which lead to nasty noises. I thought my wheel bearings had failed!!!!

Well I got them fitted last night. First impressions driving in today are how much quieter they are than the contis and bridgestones I had on.

Too early to say how well they'll grip as they need to rub the newness off a bit.

Well I got them fitted last night. First impressions driving in today are how much quieter they are than the contis and bridgestones I had on.

Too early to say how well they'll grip as they need to rub the newness off a bit.

You will need a few hundred miles to shift the mold release agents etc. What did we get? Falken 914s ??

Im interested too cos Michelin is no longer making the Primacy HP with the BMW * marking so I am looking seriously at the 914 for my car.

Reviews look good initially

^^ I have not heard that name in a very long time, I use to have those on a custom car of mine (Rover Coupe) many years ago - the BF Goodrich was painted on in white and looked so :cool:

It's hard to keep up with what's best for your car as what works well with one car is not so good on another and they are constantly evolving/changeing/improving.
.FWIW I would stay well away from anything made in a 3rd world country with no history in the business. Many are produced with tread patterns copied from name brands but do not grip the same due to the rubber?? compound used.
Usually you get what you pay for.