Torque Cars

Which are the best oil brands to use

Discussion in 'Engine Oil' started by obi_waynne, 25 January 2016.

1. fredkruger

fredkruger Torque Junkie

england birmingham
    Car:
    ford focus silver
    I have always used castrol oils.from way back when I had my first car a little mini 1000.a mechanic friend of the family recommended it and have used it ever since.i had a sierra and ran it on castrol for 300000 miles and was still pulling strong when I sold it.

2. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Castrol has a good image and good set of products. I've use Castrol previously and have no complaints.

3. oilman

oilman Approved trader

Redruth/ Sunny Cornwall
    Car:
    Porsche

Hi Mike

ZDDP is one of those things that gets mentioned a lot on forums, but there is a lot of incorrect information about it. Although a lot of modern oils have low/zero ZDDP content, the ZDDP is replaced by another anti-wear additive. However that is a bit irrelevant to your car as those are thin oils designed for modern low emissions cars, for a 66 Beetle Turbo, I assume you're using something like a 20w-50 or 15w-50 and as those grades are not designed for low emissions engines, they will still have a full dose of ZDDP. Oils like the Fuchs Pro R (available in 15w-50 and 20w-50), contain around 1200-1400ppm ZDDP and are ester based, so give brilliant protection in classics.

Cheers

Tim

Dale69 and obi_waynne like this.
  4. oilman

oilman Approved trader

Redruth/ Sunny Cornwall
    Car:
    Porsche
    People often like to have a dig at Castrol, but they are the big boys, along with Shell and Mobil and people always like to moan about the big companies. The thing is, they make decent oils, you don't get issues with them if they are used properly. You can say the same for a lot of oil companies, but Castrol, Mobil and Shell are the best known and most widely available ones. Okay, they are rarely the cheapest option and some people see that as paying for the name, but I would look at it as paying for peace of mind. If your car needs a top up and you go into a garage, the chances are there will be one of the big brands, as well as something you've never heard of. Personally, I'd rather pay a couple of quid extra and be confident that by engine wouldn't blow up.

Cheers

Tim

5. crowley

crowley Torque Junkie

Grampian
    Car:
    MyBotchedHeap
    The drift demon has had a slight tappet noise that lasts about a second on startup since the cold weather. I put the cheapest oil I could find into it. Guess that says something...

6. oilman

oilman Approved trader

Redruth/ Sunny Cornwall
    Car:
    Porsche
    It's probably a bit thick when cold, so isn't getting around the engine quickly enough.

Cheers

Tim

7. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    It says that it works in that application.

8. MikeMcCarthy

MikeMcCarthy Tuner

North Carolina, USA
    Car:
    66 Bug turbo
  9. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
  10. MikeMcCarthy

MikeMcCarthy Tuner

North Carolina, USA
    Car:
    66 Bug turbo
    LOL, maybe that is why I saved it onto my computer, found it while cleaning unused files.

11. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    No worries Mike |B FP put that out as they were having warranty claims on their bush bearing turbos and demonstrated on their Evo how an oil with low ZDDP was not protecting the thrust bearing IIRC

12. MikeMcCarthy

MikeMcCarthy Tuner

North Carolina, USA
    Car:
    66 Bug turbo
    Since all 6 turbos I have use bushings rather than ball bearings I will keep that article where its at, thanks again for posting it. Just a question , would anyone here be interested in seeing an engine build be posted on here ? I have a 2332 cc turbo VW type 1 engine a friend ( Dave Kawell ) sold me that needs a new crank installed . I will be reassembling it to race specs. The engine is a sister to the engine I had in my race car . Mike

13. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Had to think hard about this one Mike ?-/
    Judging by your obvious skills, I feel the engine build would benefit with better exposure if you start a build thread in this forum: http://www.torquecars.com/forums/forums/projects-wips.111/ rather than the engine orientated one.

Good luck to you and I look forward to reading all the details ;)

14. Dale69

Dale69 Tuner

Mackay, Nth Qld
    Car:
    Charade G102 1,3l
    i have used Penrite or Castrol since i have owned cars, never had a problem when changed with filter at recommended intervals, i also use Morey's oil treatment with each change

15. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Thanks Dale, greatly appreciated for the feedback buddy ;)

16. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Oil treatments seem surprisingly popular with people in here!

17. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that some of the additives work as claimed but few have had their claims tested by a truly independent body to confirm their advertised benefits.

18. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    I suspect that most additives are harmless. I also suspect that most additives are not beneficial either. Yet I do use fuel additives. Periodically. To solve a problem I don't have.

Do they work? I really don't know. My cars seem to work very well but that's also anecdotal.

I cannot prove a negative.

It's like being offered the opportunity to prove than one of twelve haystacks might not contain a needle.

19. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    I use additives to hopefully prevent a problem starting.

I would hazard a wild guess and say that you would have carefully researched the product used before it went into your tank ;) :)

Last edited: 19 February 2016
  20. griffindai

griffindai Torque Junkie

South Wales
    Car:
    Saab 9-3 v6 Aero
  21. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    I don't use oil additives as I am confident that the stuff I use is sufficient. I haven't yet had engine problems and I run my cars to high mileages. They all walk through the UK MoT emissions tests. Contrarily, I DO use fuel additives. Quite extensively - in the form of Millers Diesel Power Ecomax. I know it's not the in-house additive of choice. Though I have previously used those, too.

22. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    The fuel additive would help slow/stop carbon build up and keep the injectors clean all of which helps pass the MoT test.

23. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Or not. Hard to determine at best. Impossible to prove a negative at worst.

24. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    FWIW Pro Ma have documented before and after pics showing that what I said actually happens and testing was carried out by an independent government university and signed off by qualified engineers.
    A good diesel fuel additive also stops the diesel bug, lubricates fuel pumps and encapsulates water so it can go thru the combustion process and out the exhaust.

I have the complete result in my files.

IMO their grease is the best anti friction grease that I have come across to date and have personally witnessed the test 1on1 with only a match head of PM grease being applied and app 120 lbs of force unable to stop the motor.

http://promaproducts.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/pro-ma-dt5-diesel-fuel-treatment-water.html

Last edited: 21 February 2016
  25. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    So basically you think I should carry on using the diesel additive in low concentrations?