Where's a good coilover starting point?

TheAlfred

Car
Mazda 626 2.0 2002
Hi all

I want to change my suspension for a coilover kit, mostly to screw better handling out of the damn thing, but also to control the ride height marginally. What companies are reputable, and what's a good amount to spend?

Thanks

There are loads of companies that you could use, Demon Tweeks or Elite Direct to name but a few. Both have showrooms and fitting stations and can deliver to you at home. Good makes are AVO, Koni, Bilstein, H&R, KW Suspension, Spax and Tein. Pricing is a little difficult but I would say on average expect to pay no less than £100 a corner plus fitting as a starter, the price can go up significantly from there. Also you need to factor in the cost of having a full geometry set up done on the car to ensure everything is aligned correctly, probably between £60 and £160 depending on where you go.

Thanks, I can do the geometry and fitting myself, I didn't have any idea what to get, I didn't want to end up with a crappy kit!

Coil overs are a complete waste of time when used other than on the track.

Lowering by more than 30mm on most front wheel driven cars puts excessive strain on the drive train and increases power loss.

Eibach is the world's no. 1 on springs. If they have a spring kit on the shelf you can go for it that this is an extremely good compromise.

I run HSDs but I don't think they make them for your car. For decent sets that a fully adjustable expect to pay a lot. Mine were just over £800 before any fitting and alignment. To avoid the rubbish sets, avoid eBay.

Lowering by more than 30mm on most front wheel driven cars puts excessive strain on the drive train and increases power loss.

Eibach is the world's no. 1 on springs. If they have a spring kit on the shelf you can go for it that this is an extremely good compromise.

thank you! you are the only other person who seems to share the same opinion about coilovers as me.

Ok, I'll give them a look. I just want to make the car less of a pudding to drive tbh

Springs won't really improve the handling though. It will have a small effect due to a lower centre of gravity. What you get really depends on usage. If you like your comfort then coilovers aren't always best, but I have to disagree about coilovers being a waste of time on road cars.

^^ Indeed, my car is a road car and has a full set of coilovers on, it also does a lot of track days too! Handling of the beast is at another level since the coilovers were fitted compared to my OEM dampers and springs.

Springs won't really improve the handling though. It will have a small effect due to a lower centre of gravity. What you get really depends on usage. If you like your comfort then coilovers aren't always best, but I have to disagree about coilovers being a waste of time on road cars.

The Koni technical director thinks different. He does not advise to go for coil overs on road cars for a number of reasons.

In many applications you don't want to go any stiffer or much stiffer on the rear.

Good lowering springs are progressive and do make a difference.

The Koni technical director thinks different. He does not advise to go for coil overs on road cars for a number of reasons.

In many applications you don't want to go any stiffer or much stiffer on the rear.

Good lowering springs are progressive and do make a difference.

I run a fairly stiff set up daily and the handling is better for it. It used to have lowering springs (previous owners work and like it when I bought it) but there is no doubt that coilovers and poly bushes have improved things. Assuming we are talking fully adjustable coilovers they can also be set up better.

I run a fairly stiff set up daily and the handling is better for it. It used to have lowering springs (previous owners work and like it when I bought it) but there is no doubt that coilovers and poly bushes have improved things. Assuming we are talking fully adjustable coilovers they can also be set up better.

+1

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that my fully adjustable coilovers are far superior to my OEM set up! I would love to have a chat with the Koni technical director sometime CP, I am sure he would appreciate some good knowledgeable customer feedback! ;)

I would love to have a chat with the Koni technical director sometime.

The thing is, he's not going say that lowering springs are pointless is he? Then nobody would buy Koni springs!

For those that just want springs, at least match some decent shocks to them. Remember that coilovers users don't have to slam their cars either.

The thing is, he's not going say that lowering springs are pointless is he? Then nobody would buy Koni springs!

For those that just want springs, at least match some decent shocks to them. Remember that coilovers users don't have to slam their cars either.
coilovers are pointless on road cars/occasional track day use for the simple reason when people get there desired hight 9 times out of 10 they dont readjust the hight!! i know in the 2+ years ive had mine the hight hasnt been adjusted! so therefore i know my desired hight so this time round im just going for adjustable dampners and 30mm lowering springs

coilovers are pointless on road cars/occasional track day use for the simple reason when people get there desired hight 9 times out of 10 they dont readjust the hight!! i know in the 2+ years ive had mine the hight hasnt been adjusted! so therefore i know my desired hight so this time round im just going for adjustable dampners and 30mm lowering springs

I hope this solution works out for you herb ;)

But once you've achieved your desired height why would you move it? It's not just height though, it's camber, caster and toe it/out settings that (most) coilovers allow the adjustability of. This setting will be played around with until you get it correct.

If you don't want coilovers then don't buy coilovers, nobody is making you. ;)

I like the look of the B12 kits Bilstein and Eibach have co-produced. Sounds like they improve handling without any major loss in ride quality, the price looks spot on and the firms behind them are two of the most reputable suspension manufacturers both with proven racing heritage. I'm saving my pennies for some of thems

Huge amount of peeps here in Oz use BC Racing BR coilovers and seem to be very happy with them, not tbe best out there but good bang for buck. I personally would go for Eibach but they don't seem to make a set for my R33 Skyline GTSt.