what's wrong with my piper system?

balz

Wrench Pro
Car
opel corsa d 1.4
i have a corsa d 1.4 and just added a piper manifold with sports cat and a piper stainless full system. i opted to lose the front silencer (box.)

after a week or so, i think that difference is not really noticable, but i think going uphills is better. problem is that i cannot link the noise to the revs i am driving with...so i thought that's the reason...

today i drove my wife's 1.2 corsa d and this car seems to rev faster and pull better!!! what's wrong??????

ditto herb

i did find that the 1.2 corsa seemed to rev easy but not go anywhere quick when i had a go in a mates. if its a decent system then noise isnt important unless your 17 where the more noise = more power ;) so it could be down to gearing. tbh even with a full system youd be lucky to see 10bhp without getting the map adjusted on without induction changes

ditto herb

i did find that the 1.2 corsa seemed to rev easy but not go anywhere quick when i had a go in a mates. if its a decent system then noise isnt important unless your 17 where the more noise = more power ;) so it could be down to gearing. tbh even with a full system youd be lucky to see 10bhp without getting the map adjusted on without induction changes

noise is too loud for my liking...

what's wrong? piper claimed 38 bhp @ flywheel

38bhp you wont see that from a 1.4

dont think i saw that from my 5.7 v8

a exhaust is only as good as the engine if the engine is std the exhaust wont do much but if the engine is done up kicking a load more horses then it will make a big diff

as for your problem you might be losing to much back pressure so in turn putting a race exhaust has made it worse and slower

can you find that bit anywehere where they actually claim a guaranteed 38bhp ? most likely it will be the same for all their systems and will actually say up to 38bhp so they are covered. ether that or they missed the decimal point out and meant 3.8

2" also seems big for a 1.4. im running a 1800 turbo and recommenced bore is 2.25" standard is 2"

can you find that bit anywehere where they actually claim a guaranteed 38bhp ? most likely it will be the same for all their systems and will actually say up to 38bhp so they are covered. ether that or they missed the decimal point out and meant 3.8

2" also seems big for a 1.4. im running a 1800 turbo and recommenced bore is 2.25" standard is 2"

http://www.piperexhausts.co.uk/exhaust/news.php?news_id=39&news_type=prod

Piper have now released a full range of stainless steel exhaust products to suit:
1.2 16v
1.4 16v
1.3 Diesel
1.7 Diesel

These are now avaliable in our online shop.

Initial testing on a 1.2 16v showed power gains went from 74.3bhp to 109bhp (at the flywheel) when a Piper Manifold, Sports Cat and System were fitted.

get in touch with them and ask them to prove how they managed to get a 47% increase in power from an exhaust

please please please post up any reply you get. suppose if they added a induction kit they would be looking at 150bhp. have heard of a 180bhp 1.2 corsa c but it had had some serious work on it turbo and internals

sorry mate but id say you were caught out by manufactures claims. take it and learn from it.
best you can do if try getting in touch and ask for your money back as they have falsly advertised. but they might be able to get out of it as their initial testing was done on a 1.2 and not the 1.4

38 bhp from a zorst on a motor that hardly goes down hills with a tail wind ? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
One of our courtesy cars is a 1.2 Corsa and it just about beats the 1.0 Micra in a spirited drive. It does have stickers though so that could add a few gee gees. ;)

never belive what they say best way i always find is to go on what other people have found out as it might say it adds xxbhp yet it fills worse or no more power and you spent all that money for nothing

all the stuff i had on my old motor was all top notch stuff and was race ready but never got it on the rolling roads but think it was kicking out about 400-450bhp but before i did the exhaust i was going to do it to see how much more bhp it gave

No chance whatsoever of an extra 38bhp with a different exhaust on a standard engine.

This is the sort of gain you might see with a custom exhaust system on a 6 litre V12 that's been stifled at the factory in the interests of noise elimination. But if you have a 500bhp car anyway who cares for another 38? The cost of such a system would be in excess of £4000

What's a 1.4 Corsa 'd' worth in the standard tune bhp stakes anyway?

I'd hazard a guess that the standard car is between 100-105bhp.

I suspect that GM has already tuned it optimally for overall efficiency.

A bunch of pipes alone will not score you 38 extra bhp.

Even if you tuned it outrageously with massive valve lift and valve overlap in addition to the pipes you'd struggle to get that kind of gain. If you did manage to do so then it would be a b...ard to drive and the fuel consumption and emissions would be horrendous.

If you want a 150bhp Corsa then don't dismiss the 1.7 CDTi and a very selective custom ECU remap.

What's a 1.4 Corsa 'd' worth in the standard tune bhp stakes anyway?

I'd hazard a guess that the standard car is between 100-105bhp.

I suspect that GM has already tuned it optimally for overall efficiency.

A bunch of pipes alone will not score you 38 extra bhp.

the standard 1.4 is 90bhp.

i know where youre trying to get...piper keep on insisting on their figure gains...

car seems pulling much better now. only flaw is loss of power when shifting to 5th gear.

Porbably lost low-down torque hence doesn't pull as well in fifth.

i know...common sense tells me that.

this is what they proclaim for a 1.2 corsa d...

(standard has 80bhp and 110nm of torque)

12A.jpg

12B.jpg

Last edited:
mmm wonders if piper have taking the wheel power before fitting the system then used they flywheel power afterwards. hopefully you will have learned a lesson here basically if it sounds too good them it normally is.
you have to remember the dyno can be easily altered to suit the tuning company to make them look better. theres also other tricks such as having the bonnet on with the air filter open for less restriction, ice on the manifold all to keep the air as cold as possible.

torque put simply is the work that the engine is doing when you put your foot down, in the lower to mid revs ie 1500 - 5000 its what shoves you in the back. torque is what you really want as it makes driving as such easier. for example go drive a car such as a vtec honda - the have decently high power figures but are low down on torque. then go and drive a bigger engine car, turbo petrol or more likely a turbo diesel with the same power but much more torque.
the honda will feel better up high in the rev range 5500 + rpm but try to over take something at 2500-3000 rpm and youll struggle and have to drop a few cogs to get into the powerband.
go do it with the turbo diesel and it wont like being up near the redline as much however you will be able to overtake in 5 from around 2000rpm much easier

horsepower is the by product of the torque and the 2 are related.
look over the internet and youll find the relationship fomula between the 2

mmm wonders if piper have taking the wheel power before fitting the system then used they flywheel power afterwards. hopefully you will have learned a lesson here basically if it sounds too good them it normally is.
you have to remember the dyno can be easily altered to suit the tuning company to make them look better. theres also other tricks such as having the bonnet on with the air filter open for less restriction, ice on the manifold all to keep the air as cold as possible.

torque put simply is the work that the engine is doing when you put your foot down, in the lower to mid revs ie 1500 - 5000 its what shoves you in the back. torque is what you really want as it makes driving as such easier. for example go drive a car such as a vtec honda - the have decently high power figures but are low down on torque. then go and drive a bigger engine car, turbo petrol or more likely a turbo diesel with the same power but much more torque.
the honda will feel better up high in the rev range 5500 + rpm but try to over take something at 2500-3000 rpm and youll struggle and have to drop a few cogs to get into the powerband.
go do it with the turbo diesel and it wont like being up near the redline as much however you will be able to overtake in 5 from around 2000rpm much easier

horsepower is the by product of the torque and the 2 are related.
look over the internet and youll find the relationship fomula between the 2

very useful read - thanks about that.

i still have mixed feelings about the car's new performance, however when i accelerated (almost till redline) from 2nd to 3rd gear today, i was actually thrown back into my seat.

nah think that as more the placebo effect in your mind. as said earlier youd be lucky to see 10bhp with everything changed - manifold, sports cat, centre pipe and back box
being thrown back in your seat should happen even standard. remember the corsa is a town car so more likely to have shorter gear ratios for quicker acceleration

gets more fun when you move on to a bigger engine
Smiley-Whistling.gif

nah think that as more the placebo effect in your mind.

no, i'm pretty sure about that. in my other post i remarked about 'mixed feelings' because i really do not know if there is a difference. sometimes it can be felt, other times no. last week i nearly got paranoid about loss in power on 4th/5th gear changes...

dunno...

My Focus can be like that some days. But then others when your hook up the pull off and gear change spot it goes like a rocket for what it is. I agree with whats been said you'll be lucky to see a 10bhp gain TBH.
When I put an induction kit de-cat and back box on my old 1.4 Rover 200 it felt quicker in some gear but lost it in others. It didn't gain much Bhp but it did feel that little bit quicker.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back