Whats a good boost controller?

lee172

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi a3 1.8
hi i was reading about boost controllers on this site, was just wondering what would be a good one that is recommended? it would be for a a3 1.8t quattro if that makes any difference? thanks.

Have you had a remap done cos the ecu will complain if the boost goes above a certain level. Wont a remap do the same thing anyway?

not sure about a lot of engines but the 1.8t wont take much.

ive got the 180 version which is 0.8 bar (11.5 psi) when i put the foot down i get 11psi then settles at 10 this is controlled by the N75 valve. if i was to go over this 1800mbar limit (1000mbar = atmospheric pressure and 800mbar boost) then the ECU would go into limp mode. in other words no boost at all
with a remap the boost limits are increased.

FYI, fitting a manual boost controller to the VAG turbo is a ain in itself as you need to blank out the N75 valve.

A full custom remap would be a better way to go. Some of these are switchable or get a remap and a boost controller to allow some in car control over the boost.

It is also very tempting to see how high you can go. The car will usually just blowup if you go too mad so keep the boost levels at a sensible level.

knowing me i would turn it all the way up so maybe a custom remap is more for me. i was talking to celtic tuning which i think you know on this site. i want the noise that a dump valve makes but they told me that its not really that good and to go with their diverter valve (i think thats the name of it) does that valve still make the noise that im after or would i have to get a dump valve for it? or is there any way i could have both without any troubles?

I dont recommend the Atmospheric dump valves on the 1.8T. It is a closed system and can get really screwy when air vanishes! I have heard that some poeple get away with it but I do wonder if they are down on power. There is a partially venting valve I think made by Forge that works well but I'd stick with a recommended diverter valve that doesn't vent to the atmosphere.

Thanks for your help. That splitter valve seems to offer the best of both worlds, is there any way that it would affect reliabilty of the engine?