What the Best PUG to modify?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Looking to buy a Peugeot and want to have fun but what is the best model to modify. 106 Gti or 206 Gti? Which will be the fastest when I've finished. Im also looking to add a turbo conversion or supercharhger so any feedback on this would be appreciated.

106 all the way they always look phat and there lighter too
im looking into a supercharger, for a gti swap (with flowed head and cams) ect

i was reading up there best thing for these light cars and there not as much presser on the engine as a turbo i think its the way to go but the only down fall is the dump vavle dosnt make that atrative psssst noice

im looking to find one that dose as iv heard thers ones that do it any of u know of one

i think if u were to even get 200 hp out of that car u could beat almost anythink as i have a stock 1.4 atm and itsgot a quicker 1?4 then my g dad honda civic 1.6 sport

You can get 200BHP out of a 'charged 106GTi engine quite easily.. There is a 'charged 106GTi lump in an AX GTi pushing 297BHP, but I have the suspicious feeling this reading was measured at the fly, not the wheels.

Most people tend to go down the charger route, rather than having a blown VTS/GTi lump, I think this is mainly because of the turbo lag, but I suppose it's down to the individual driver, and your style of driving.

It's worth trying to get yourself a copy of Performance GTi magazine, as it features lots of modified Saxo's and 106's, as well as other French cars. Quite hard to find though so you might have to go to a main WHSmith's, or wait till the next issue comes out in late April.. Really worth reading for inspiration!

http://www.performancegti.com/

Or sign up to the SaxoSportsClub forums and have traul through their Supercharger/Turbo thread, as there is alot of info there.

is there any dump vavle that makes that noice for a supercharger i agree to every think u said thanks for the help mate :p

Because turbo's keep spinning after you come off of the throttle, a dump valve releases all of the gasses which are built up in the inlet manifold.. If you shut off the throttle and the gas had nowhere to go, it would try to backwards and the turbine would seize up.

Superchargers recycle the air in the inlet (I think!!) and the build up in back-pressure is not as dangerous.. Although I've heard you can fix a dump-valve (or bypass valve) to a charged lump, you lose alot of pressure and the end result in sound really isn't very impressive! More like a fart than a sexy hiss! You could always go down the charger route an attach an electronic dump valve! Saber manufacture these and they work off of a sensor linked to a speaker under your bonnet! A bit tacky if you drive a 1.1 but I could justify it if you are actually gonna charge a GTi lump!

If you want a good option for a car to modify, get hold of a 406 or Coupe with the 2.2 HDi16 diesel engine. Check it's in good order and get a full service carried out.

Then contact Celtic Tuning via www.celtictuning.co.uk and get them to apply a custom re-map to your fuel and boost ECU settings. This is good for 178bhp and over 300lbft of torque which is delivered cleanly from below 2000rpm all the way to about 4500rpm. It'll destroy any 106/206 GTi in any gear. The only problem is that you've got a D badge on the back, but it's good fun watching BMW 330i's disappear in the mirror.

Freddie said:
Because turbo's keep spinning...

You could always go down the charger route an attach an electronic dump valve! Saber manufacture these and they work off of a sensor linked to a speaker under your bonnet! A bit tacky if you drive a 1.1 but I could justify it if you are actually gonna charge a GTi lump!

Please mate, don't ever recommend this again. Look at the price!! The money could easily be better spent.

Why not mod the 406 coupe, 3.0 V6 would be a very good base engine.

I'm sticking to my guns here and recommend the 2.2 HDi diesel over the 3.0V6 petrol. Driven both and several other lively cars besides. Don't get hung up on the diesel bit, it really is not an issue with these excellent 16 valve units.

I can see your point about smaller lumps. It's true that a diesel engine, regardless of the torque or power on offer, is heavier than a petrol unit, which can compromise handling, especially in front wheel drive cars.

It's not just outright grip (which is very good on any Peugeot - it's been a family trait for decades) but you've still got the momentum of all that mass over the front 'axle'. For me, it's not a problem as my car never sees a track - it spends its miles on motorways and fast A roads where the re-mapped diesel's mid-range clout is invincible.

Try and extract 309 lbft from any non-turbo petrol this side of four litres and you'll have your work cut out. Manage it and you'll have a big overdraft and a job keeping the thing idling below 2000rpm

I've never set much store by 0-60 times but the 406 saloon I have manages a conservative 8 seconds. Flat out, no idea but it's pulling hard still at 130mph, although diesels don't like massive revs so that will compromise the result. Again, it's the mid range stuff that I think really counts. Try 40 to 70mph in fourth in about 7 seconds!!!

Good luck with you efforts.

Sounds like you are really chuffed with your re-map mate! Does the engine have any other mods? What about your MPG?

Sounds very nippy for a car of its stature!

No - it's in stock factory form - apart from uprated front and rear pads _ ferodo DS in this case. I am genuinely impressed by the custom re-map that Celtic Tuning did for me. The MPG is exactly as you'd find in stock tune unless you use every last ounce all the time, when you'll be down to low 30ish mpg. But then, I suppose a standard car is gonna use more if you clout it constantly.

At the age of 36 (yep, oldie) I'm no stranger to lively motors. I regularly drive Boxsters and MGF's, so I do have a fair table upon which to lay my claims.

The only thing I have noticed is that you really do have to use the best fuel available - BP Ultimate is my choice - stick Tesco's stuff in it and you don't get the best from it. For sure - better than stock tune but..... what's the point?

The only bitch with just about any diesel engine is that you still are never gonna get that 7500rpm hysterical scream that a tuned petrol will give, so the aural delights are not on the menu.

Truly though, you find that changing up at 3000rpm gives you ample shove - equates to about 97mph in fifth anyway.

Again (must be an age thing) but I love the prospect (and reality) to chew up three litre petrol Mercs uphill and in silence with a diesel badge on the back.

Cheers,

Rgds,

Paul.

i like the idea of tuning a big efficient diesel lump, but i think my preference would be supercharging a 106 gti....ooooh, i'm dribbling at the thought of being able to afford to do that....but until then its my 1.1 for now... ;)

The downside with any turbocharged car, diesel or petrol is that there is a lways going to be a degree of lag whilst exhaust gas velocity spins up the turbo. The turbo also acts to restrict the flow of exhaust gas at this time, thereby negating all your work gas flowing heads and fitting big bore exhausts etc.

For me the fun bit is being able to compete on a level field with petrol cars with engines well over 3 litres in capacity. But, the fact remains, turbochargers are a compromise. Superchargers are driven mechanically, so those engines respond immediately.

In the 'old days' diesel pundits spoke of 'torque and real-world performance'. This was an excuse for a car that was slow and noisy - I hated diesels at that time.

Fact is now, that we're dealing with real numbers too - 0-62mph in under eight seconds. 40-70 in FOURTH in about FIVE!!

Drive one and see!!!

Cheers,

P.

In addition, I'm not sure that diesel is the ultra economical fuel it used to be given the more frequent and frequently more expensive servicing thatn is required by a petrol engine. Having said that, I would swap to petrol unless a good V8 of about 3.5 litres was on offer and someone else was paying the fuel bill!

He could be correct - I know VW/Audi had entered a TDi powered car. I'm a fan of good diesel turbo engines for road use. I do mean good ones, not some dodgy 100bhp mid nineties thing. In a racing situation I still think that a petrol powered vahicle is preferable simply because the engine is smaller and lighter, thereby impinging on the suspension/handling setup less that a heavier diesel unit. I think PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) has plans for a Le Mans diesel next time round.

These motors are getting seriously quick now; good 2 litre road diesels are competing with 3 litre plus petrols on equal terms.

206 gti 180 bhp stock
106 gti 120 bhp stock

i knwo theres waight to power modding but its alot easyer to do a 206

i have a 106 so i should shut up

will do for sure being sprayed soooon soo looking forward to it but im skint so gunna be an even bigger hole :< im thinking of grapheding some mini cooper(new one) arches as ectenchions

Yeah theres a couple of place on the net that do that....

http://www.lynxpowerengineering.co.uk/gti6.aspx

this is one i've found....they do 2 types of kit

first one is the low boost that get you 250hp and 220lbft for about £4000 fitted
the second one is the hogh boost which gives you a wopping 400hp!!! they upgrade most of the engine internals to get that power and I reckon it would be expensive....but my god it would give an E39 M5 a run for it's money.....

but personally the 250hp is the option i would consider if i had a 6 or a rallye