What makes of tires do you have

im not fussy about the make, but have to have 4 the same tyres on my car

it dosent matter what make they are, once they have good thread depth
they will work as good as the top of the range 1s

forgot to mention,
i do prefer tyres that have the alloy protector rim on them,
you know the 1s that have a lip outside the alloys

I disagree. There are massive differences between manufacturers compounds and patterns. It doesn't always hold that biggest price equals longest life and best grip either.

A nearly bald Bridgestone Potenza or Continental Sport Contact will drive far more nicely that a brand new budget tyre. That is, unless there's loads of surface water.

I disagree. There are massive differences between manufacturers compounds and patterns. It doesn't always hold that biggest price equals longest life and best grip either.

A nearly bald Bridgestone Potenza or Continental Sport Contact will drive far more nicely that a brand new budget tyre. That is, unless there's loads of surface water.
well i did hear that michilen tyres drive the same new as they do when they are nearly wore out, so you have a point
this is to do with the with how much carbon they put in to the mix

Yes I'm fussy, I won't pay top dollar but I would never put cheep on my van. You spend all your hard earn'd on your motor then trust the only contact patch to the ground down to a bit of rubber made in a wing wang wong factory by a bloke who don't give a...
Come on if you drive at walking pace fine. I you carry live stock (wife & kids) then why would you?
Toyo Proxys 225x45 17" stick like glue in the wet & dry. & noise level is good for such a big tyre. £390 for 4 inc Audi 5 spoke alloy wheels, result me thinks.

The tyre conpounds all contain varying levels of carbon and silica. Silica is hard wearing, supposedly this means that the tyre can use softer rubber to enhance grip.

I'm currently driving about on Viking Protech II's. These are made by Continental and i have to say that I really rate them. Ultimate grip not quite in the Bridgestone Potenza league but not so far off that you'd really notice unless you really really push hard in the wet. The tread pattern is assymetic and does a good job of shifting water see image below:-

attachment.php

Attachments

• Viking ProTech II.jpg
    Viking ProTech II.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 23
I love the Conti Sport Contacts - but not on the W8. Too soft and its just shredding them too quickly - so any advice on a harder compound that'll still grip well would be good :D

Conti Sport Contact 3s are meant to be better wearing. Beyond that I really do rate Bridgestone's range of performance tyres. The Potenza RE050A should fit the bill nicely.

Its Conti Sport 3's im running unfortunatly. Eagle F1's where the standard fit on the car, but I found them pretty prone to aquaplaning.

As an ex tyre trader I can tell you that goodyear use two different compounds in there tyres, for the first 3mm nice soft compound with lots of grip then as they get down to about 4 mm left the compound changes to a hard one which makes the tyre last longer but noticably less grip.

As an ex tyre trader I can tell you that goodyear use two different compounds in there tyres, for the first 3mm nice soft compound with lots of grip then as they get down to about 4 mm left the compound changes to a hard one which makes the tyre last longer but noticably less grip.

Used to fit Goodyear Ventura to my Primera and they were astonishing. The P11 was already a superb handling car with ridiculous levels of hereornering grip and the Venturas got it to the point where your ears would be bleeding before you ran out of lateral adhesion.

On to dual tread compounds: Apparently Bridgestone does this as well with one important difference - they start on the harder wearing compound and then as the tread diminishes you get into a seam of softer stickier rubber to make up for the reduced tread depth. Not sure if it applied to the Turanza range as their targetted for all round performance.

I've heard mixed reports of Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres.

Conti Sport Contact 3s are meant to be better wearing. Beyond that I really do rate Bridgestone's range of performance tyres. The Potenza RE050A should fit the bill nicely.

i used the re40's on the bora. nice grip and lasted 12k would have lasted longer but think they were slightly over inflated as wear in middle was near enough bald, maybe 0.5 - 1mm, where the rest were just on the wear indicators, now have the old wheels back on still with 3 potenza and 1 goodyear. until i have some pennies for new ones

cheap tyres used to last me no time at all, used to go through a cheap set of yokos every 3 months on the civic (£20 each) switched to michillens at £65 each and they lasted nearly 2 years

I'm still running some Dunlop SP Sports and for a cheap (Quality) tyre I have been impressed with the wear and grip. (P6000's were terrible !)

I always get a matching set but if they are not all worn I'll buy 2 & put them on the rear then get matching fronts when they expire.

The Pirelli P6000 (and its Powergy derivitive) is one of the worst and overrated tyres on the market. It's been going for years and has been overtaken and lapped several times by the competition now.

You'd be as well to drive on Wanli or some other such junk and at least save some money