What engine oil???

mbw1406

Wrench Pro
Car
mitsubishi gto twin
Whats the best engine oil to use in a 94 GTO TT with 60k on the clock. I think 5w 30 is reccomended but ive read somewhere that 10w 40 would be better. What do ye think?

A quick look at Opie oils (who we get a discount with) suggests, for a 3000GT (which I think is the same car?) 10w-40 semi synthetic or 5w-40 fully synthetic & a UFI brand oil filter ref: 23.271.00. Also manual gearbox oil is 75w-90. :)

Mine is 92 and Country Bumpkin advised Silkolene Pro-S 10/50.

If thats what he uses then that whats going in my car :)

Mitsubishi reccomend 5w 30 and I am just wondering why nearly everybody else reccomends 10w 40 or 10w 50. Whats better about them compared to the 5w 30???

From the Mitsubishi Workshop manual;

** SAE 5W-30 may be used for operation in very
cold weather areas where the lowest atmospheric
temperature is below -23°C (-10°F).

I have been working on these engines for quite a few years now and have tried so many oils just to find one that is good.
Mitsu actually recommended a 10/40 oil when the engine was developed.
We found that the best results were given from using Pro-S 10/50. That is based on engine wear, oil pressure, engine component reaction [cam follower tick is almost eradicated].
I have built numerous GTO engines in various spec and using various components and since finding this oil, have used no other. We use it as a general service oil and as an oil on upgraded engines.
There are other oils out there that i haven't tested but mainly because i don't really need to, this stuff works, not only for me but for a few hundred other GTO owners in this country.
I'm not saying it's the only oil for your car, you must make that decision but just be aware that the majority of Mitsu franchises don't even know how to take these engines to bits, let alone know what makes them work.
That most certainly does not mean that i claim to know everything about these motors, i don't and never shall do so.

On the three 3000Gt engines I have overhauled so far, I have used Mobil Delvac 15W -40, All three engines needed extensive work, one had to have the crankshaft and 3 con rods replaced. Recently, one of them entered for the local drag races and clocked 13.5 seconds, no problems with the engine or the twin turbos