What do you think of Toyo R888 Proxies

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What do you think of Toyo R888 Proxies, are they really good tyres?

As the Uk is quite wet is there any point going with a semi slick racing tyre? What other options out there are worth me considering?

Yes, they are very good tyres and OK in the wet if driven on with circumspection.

What are you looking for? All 'performance' tyres have compromised wet weather performance.

Options.

Fit the best dry performance tyre and be very careful in the wet.

Fit the best all weather tyre and lose that dry edge.

One set for dry and one set for wet.

Don't go out in the wet, this is what I will be doing :)

I like the not going out in the wet idea! That will be a great excuse for not picking up famly or visiting them!

I think a set of summer and winter tyres is in order. I will be doing some track days and I know how you burn through tyres on these so a set of spare rims is in order to carry the drive home tyres with me.

The R888's seem to be pretty popular though! Are they the best for the money?

I have done a LOT of research over the last few years, looking for the stickiest road legal tyres. As tyre companies are not keen on disclosing the mu value (coefficient of friction, basically) of their tyres this has been difficult.

I have found what I think I am going to use, but for normal sizes and track cars the popular choice seems to be between Toyo and Yokohama. Pays your money and takes your choice. Unless you are looking for ultimate performance, you won't go wrong with either make, or, for that matter, various other makes with similar performance.

888s are not designed to be value for money they are designed for just one thing GRIP

And they cost more have less tread when new and wear out quicker that other "performance tyres" but boy do they grip.

but if you aint sliding the car or spinning the wheels Im not sure you really need them

The TWI is a general guide as to the grip and lifespan of any tyre BUT tread pattern and compound will play a big part in wet grip.

Last edited:
I have to say that I find the Syron Street Race quite a bit better than the Yokohama I was using before, the problem the Volvo's have with them is to much grip and snapping driveshafts :D

i have never had a problem with 888s on the road mind you the Stagea does have a trick awd ststem. -

i suppose it depends on the car

Great tyres but a tad expensive these days. I used to use Toyo T1Rs for everyday use as they had decent grip but were a little soft. On track I have been trying the Maxxis MAZ1 and found them to be very grippy with no negatives to report.

I clearly drive a different car than most (Westfield SEi xflow Ford), but simply adding a set of R888s dropped a full EIGHT seconds off my lap time at Blackhawk Farms! (From 1:42 to 1:34)
Due to the light weight and great balance (and relatively low power of about 135 bp), these tires are NOT wearing out! the simply grab anything within reach, small stones included, and drag the car where pointed!
I am not looking back, and enjoy pressure tuning for the desired effect on handling. (Anybody else notice loose handling with low P, tightened dramatically right up to twitchy by adding P?)
Climber (smiles with grit in teeth!)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back