What can i do to a 8v 1.4 clio to improve acceleration?

Lloydspencerclio

Wrench Pro
Car
2000 Clio S 1.4i 8v
i have a 2000 1.4 clio with only 8 valves and have put an induction onto it and was wondering what the next step would be to get more power? thank you

Next step if you insist on modifying your current engine is a full stainless steel exhaust, and a new manifold. It might be worth uprating the headers as well.

Yeah definitely. I'm not too clued up on Renault engines, but I would definitely swap in a bigger engine if you plan to mod it. You could spend thousands modding your 1.4 but you won't see huge gains from it. Is insurance a problem for you?

I too have the same car/engine. I've got a K&N 57i kit on and putting 172 cliosport 15" alloys on at the weekend.

for me insurance is a problem otherwise i would have an engine swap in the pipeline. after the wheels im looking to fit a ktec stealth cat back exhaust (improves sound, not performance) then when ive made myself a good rep with my insurers, i intend to replace to manifold and fit a sports cat.

unfortunately there's not much we can do to our engines as big bhp gains aren't really poss.

:-(

welcome to tc mate,

prince, ive always wondered what headers were
i think its the manifold

yeah it is a bit of a problem to be honest... i havent been driving for very long so anything bigger than a 1.6 would be a bit out of the question!

yeah it is a bit of a problem to be honest... i havent been driving for very long so anything bigger than a 1.6 would be a bit out of the question!
if your planning to get something bigger and faster down the rd, id hold of ans save the money you were going to spend on the clio

i done it before mate, we all have to start somewhere

yeah thats probably a better idea! cheers for the advice mate!
i prsume its your first car then???

and i ment that last post as advice in the sense, you'll put all that money into a car that wont benifit much anyway in the terms of hp, drive it awhile, get some ncb on your record, and buy a hot hatch, trust me, its worth the wait:D

I too have the same car/engine. I've got a K&N 57i kit on and putting 172 cliosport 15" alloys on at the weekend.

for me insurance is a problem otherwise i would have an engine swap in the pipeline. after the wheels im looking to fit a ktec stealth cat back exhaust (improves sound, not performance) then when ive made myself a good rep with my insurers, i intend to replace to manifold and fit a sports cat.

unfortunately there's not much we can do to our engines as big bhp gains aren't really poss.

:-(

Your 1.4. engine will shred a sports cat mate. I have to agree with Prevtec though, I would also save up for either an engine conversion or a new car.

but which one? i dont know whether to do some cosmetics to my clio whilst im waiting for my ncb then convert the engine when the insurance is better, or just leave it be and get a new hatch in a little while.

must be getting to 80k now but is in v.good condition, its a smart looking car and has pottential on the styling front but how much would getting a conversion cost roughly?

Depends on the new engine itself. My conversion for my Civic is going to cost £2000, but yours probably won't cost as much as that.

If you was to swap it for a new car...what would the new car be?

probably a civic, or another clio. Dont really know, i would love a nice ek9. My cuz has offered to sell me his fiesta st in white with blue stripes but wouldn't be able to afford the insurance! :(

Your 1.4. engine will shred a sports cat mate. I have to agree with Prevtec though, I would also save up for either an engine conversion or a new car.

ok so maybe i'll avoid a sports cat. But again, you must forgive my ignorance, but what do mean when you say my engine will 'shred' a sports cat?

As you can see im a bit clueless with lingo in some areas. Although i must say this forum is like teaching me a whole new language, my girlfriend has no idea what im saying on here. :)

also wen fitting the induction to my clio, where ive taken the air box off i think its attached to the throttle pack? but its not secured down by anything other than the old air box, what can i do about this??:blink:

First of all.. remove the old air filter (I can take pictures of my Haynes manual if you can't work out how to do it :) )... you got to remove the small black box with the green plug type thing in it, from the outer shell of the air filter.. I think it just slides out, can't remember

Please nobody say anything about the cable ties, they aren't needed anymore, but I'm just lazy to take them off :)

It looks like this, when off the filter
Photo-0007.jpg

On the main air pipe between the air filter and the throttle body, there is a small breather pipe

Photo-0005.jpg

(It's the one that is at an angle pointing down and to the left)

Make sure that this pipe is always connected back to the throttle body, it might come off when you are moving around the bigger air pipe

Finished product

Photo-0005.jpg

You are now wondering where you put the cold air feed?

Well it comes from the bottom right of the engine bay (if you are looking into your engine from the front)... then... position it so that it feeds the air underneath the air filter :)

Finished product

Photo-0004.jpg

Last edited:
cheers mate i hope this can help me. he only problem i have is your engine layout doesnt look the same as mine!!! the problem i have on mine is securing the throttle body, i can attach the filter etc and have fitted alot of inductions on my mates cars but on mine the only thing that was holding down the throttle body was the old airbox...

Isn't the throttle body attached to the engine *worried* ?

I thought our engines were the same, I'm sure the 1.2 and the 1.4 is VERY similar

yeah thats what i thought?!! im at collage now so cant really take a photo and show you but when i take a look a little later ill show you. the engines are pretty much the same but the angle you have got your filter on isnt the way my filter would sit...

its not a really expensive filter, its a pipercross and is the same style as yours. does your filter have an oil feed to it? (not sure if its called an oil feed :))

Any chance of a link matey? The pipercross filters have a couple of designs I believe :).

Oil feed.. I hope there isn't an oil feed to it ;)

You might be thinking about the breather pipe, which I did mention in my little tutorial :)