What are the best heat shield materials

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
as the thread says im looking into finding out about different heat shield materials, so can anyone reconmend any sort of heat shield foam/fabric sheets to help keep the heat out, iv looked on ebay and lots lots of shop but i know nothing about heat shields apart from polsihed alu / stainless steel refect heat so any help would be great

thanks

I went to this in some detail when I built my cold box for my filter pods..

As you are not looking at a direct heat source onto the barrier you need a material to reflect the heat away .

Gold is the best reflector but is not a good heat insulator.

A google search will find a number of reflective gold finishes that are adhesive and can be fixed to the heatsheild

I used carbon sheet with a gold reflective foil. works surprisimgly well and looks OK as well

Of course you then have to get the cold air to the box or it will be a waste of time

What are you tying to keep heat away from and how far away is the heat source, as this will define the quality required?

The most common stuff is that sold by Demon Tweeks. They do the Nimbus and Cirrus range as well as the best, which is Zircotec (IMO)

3 pages of heat management stuff here:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do?method=delegate&n=3082&s=heat

If you are simply covering an air box that is not too close to a direct heat source then the cheapest will be fine

However, if you want the best (IMO) then have a look here:

http://www.zircotec.com/page/heatshield_products/97

Not cheap, but the best never is.

thanks guys but wont the chicken dippers go fowl???? lol

and old git, the heat shield is for a air filter box which i want to make out for aluminium, i was going to mirror polish the outside to help reflect heat and mybe use some sort of insolating material inside to line the box to help keep it cooler.. but just looking at other ideas

thanks guys but wont the chicken dippers go fowl???? lol

and old git, the heat shield is for a air filter box which i want to make out for aluminium, i was going to mirror polish the outside to help reflect heat and mybe use some sort of insolating material inside to line the box to help keep it cooler.. but just looking at other ideas

I suppose I should make a clean breast of it and admit that the idea doesn't have a leg to stand on, I was only winging it.

In that case the Zircotec would be the easiest to use as it is thin and easy to bend. The amount needed for an air box wouldn't break the bank. It comes with a self adhesive backing so it would be easy to fit. Although designed for the glue to be behind the insulating surface, unless the box is very close to the exhaust, this shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
thanks old git, i have tried look on google for what material reflect heat the best and i couldnt find that much, i think polished surfaces reflect heat and matt colours like black attract the heat but apart from that im getting no where fast, but i with defo have a look at that zircotec tho.....